Are you a Roon user? (Poll)

Now you see my point, I am just saying that there is no perfect connection for streaming. Ideally, wireless is the way to go, but we are not there yet.

Apart from the USB DAC, every other end point I use is only connected over Wi-Fi. I would agree Wi-Fi certainly for specific usecases like streaming of audio is somewhat hit and miss and how well it works depends partly on willingness to invest in expensive networking hardware and an ability to configure it all and optimise it, plugging in average consumer grade kit can be frustrating and disappointing and wired Ethernet remains preferable for a number of reasons, stability and ease of use for example.
Back on topic specific to Roon I found it pretty simple to get setup and running and having used Sonos in one form or another pretty much since it came out itā€™s the only alternative to the Sonos app Iā€™ve ever used or found beneficial as one usecase example.
I also use it with a Chord Mojo/Poly and can control that painlessly from my phone at home, compared to what that user experience was like in the early days using the Poly itā€™s a massive improvement and works nicely.

1 Like

I bought a lifetime subscription - I immediately saw itā€™s utility. In particular I like the Roon radio and itā€™s discovery function. I just use my own music, but every few months I buy a Qobuz deal to discover new music.

1 Like

But only one cable for concerned people to fret over, not multiple cables, multiple switches, and even multiple power supplies, if the ethernet cable threads are any indication!

yes, it is an asylum over there, we really need men in white-coat.

Btw, as far as I am concerned, I need only 1 switch and 1 cheap 6a flat cable from Amazon. I, personally, see no need to make things complicated.

The switch I have is the old one, which has been with me for a long time. In fact, I never understand as to why we need multiple switches in tandem, expensive ps, expensive exotic Ethernet cables, maybe my Linn Klimax DSM is not sensitive enough for these enhancements?

2 Likes

I am in the No camp. I have a single hi-fi system and looking at the Roon website I canā€™t see what it brings to the party other than a nice booklet to look at when listening to an album. The idea of having a separate device running as a Roon server that requires a SSD seems like a helluva overhead as well. What, if anything, am I missing out on?

It is much more than that, you need to try it so see if you like it or not, some do, some donā€™t.
Its user interface model does not work for everyone.

Lifetime here after a year annual and this at the new price.
Roon brings together my own library along with Qobuz and Tidal which I havenā€™t yet got round to cancelling. This gives an endless choice of music, sometimes too much, so it can be quite relaxing to just let Roon radio do its stuff.
Another source is internet radio which is now much improved on the latest version. I am especially fond of Radio Paradise which plays well through flac.
I have N272 and when I went back to Naim app I was struck by how clunky and awkward it was in comparison. I also have DacV1 connected to iMac so Roon provides a consistent interface to play music.
I donā€™t use Roon as multi-room. I use Sonos for that which can also run through Roon again with consistent interface.
Regarding cost, using Roon as the sole interface to N272, it brings everything I would want to the N272, Tidal , Qobuz internet radio without the urge and cost to update to the mythical ā€œ372ā€ or NDX2/282 etc so a real saving :bangbang::bangbang: :joy:

All in all very pleased with Roon, my only bugbear is that you have to use iPad in landscape, a 12ā€ iPad Pro is a bit too big. Another significant difference compared to Naim app is that you can control Roon with iPhone, iPad or computer/ laptop all at the same time, it is only when you go back to Naim app you realise some of the limitations.
I also like the linkages and info you can follow through Roon, down the proverbial rabbit hole of discovery.

Sorry not meant as reply to IB
CK

5 Likes

Lifetime from almost the beginning. Stunning value!

3 Likes

Iā€™ll mention just one thing example that I havenā€™t included in some of my other posts about Roon.

Suppose you are listening to an album track. hear a great guitar solo and you wonder just who the guitarist is and what other albums he may have recorded or appeared on as a guest.

With Roon, you just select ā€˜creditsā€™ for the album, click on the guitaristā€™s name and Roon transports you to a page providing information about the guitarist and displays the album covers of all albums he/she has released followed by all the albums he/she has appeared on and that are available from your integrated library (local NAS + Tidal or Qobuz). It does this instantly, allowing you to immediately explore other music by the guitarist - or composer, or producer or ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Just one of many similar things that Roon can do for you.

5 Likes

Big Roon user here now in 4th year. Moved from LMS and Squeezebox eco system, never looked back. I have a dedicated i7 fanless pc that runs Roons operating system ROCK so itā€™s a leave alone device essentially. I have dedicated 10 Roon zones with a few more I can bring up as and when I wish. 4 are for headphones the rest are Room based listening. No other software can give me this flexibility reliably and play in sync, plus the other benefits Roon brings.

And letā€™s not forget olaylists are not tied to a device they are accessible anywhere, and I can switch playing in any zone to another and pick up where I last was.

2 Likes

I tried it but did not think if offered me any better performance or functionality than my current setup which cost less than 400 USD for the mini pc.

Mini ITX Computer (< $400) (NUCs work too)

everything below is free ā€¦

Daphile OS see here
UPNP Bridge plugin
Material Skin plugin
Qobuz plugin
Radio Paradise plugin
Music and Artist plugin

No need for Naim app either - The Material Skin plugin is excellent in every way. See here.

Thatā€™s Exactly why I donā€™t yet subscribe to any of the streaming services IB, but I have to say, having briefly jockeyed another forum users Roon app, that Roon is WAY better than just suggesting ā€˜you might likeā€™ nonsense. Genuine value added info and insight that might prompt you to make your own investigations into other avenues. Much better then raw Spotify, Tidal or Qobuz. Whether itā€™s worth what it costs is a different question that I canā€™t answer.

No problem! Nice to read anyway, even if different from my preferences.

On the very rare occasions I might do that, I can use a little known tool called Google, which is totally freeā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Interestingly the last several times Iā€™ve glanced as numbers have grown, the poll has been 52% use Roon, 48% donā€™t (not any more being donā€™t).

It makes me smile when I read it. :slight_smile:
It seems that you like to do thing the HARD way, but thatā€™s fine, if this is what you want to do. Someone likes to walk 100 km to get from A to B, whereas the majority just get on a Tesla to get there.

1 Like

It takes a few seconds, and typing in the words is not exactly HARD! But as I say, it is very rare: probably only wanted to do about once, ever! The cost of the subscription seems a lot to save a few secondsā€¦

As for the distance thing, great for those who can afford a Tesla! But Iā€™ll walk a mile or two out of choice rather than use the car unless foul weather or extremely pushed for time.

2 Likes

Lifetime subscription here - I like a feature of Roon that I can choose which source (eg, local NAS, Qobuz, or Tidal) the primary version is.

I started subscribing to Qobuz earlier in the year after many years of using Spotify for streaming. Have only bought one CD since and only then because it wasnā€™t available on Qobuz. Roon seemed like the next logical step. Was sold on it after a few days into the 14 day trial. The biggest feature I like is how your local music library can be integrated with your steaming library. Currently running Roon core on my Windows 10 PC while my music server is being upgraded at Audiostore (Vortexbox). At the wrong end of the life cycle to shell out $US699.99 for lifetime membership but $US9.99/mth doesnā€™t seem unreasonable for what is on offer.
Onwards and upwardsā€¦
Let the music playā€¦

Dave