Asparagus

Apologies if you think I should have added this to the gardening thread, but I thought that it might attract wider interest / insight.

I’ve noticed this asparagus season that my urine no longer smells as it has in the past after eating it. At first I thought that it might be because the first tastings were of market bought veg. However, this evening I cut my own asparagus and cooked it, again without the usual impact. I’m wondering what’s going on with my digestion and metabolism? This article doesn’t quite answer my question but it’s illuminating.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-asparagus-makes-your-urine-smell-49961252/

3 Likes

The ‘interesting’ range of subjects discussed on the Naim forum never cease to amaze me :grinning:

9 Likes

Are you taking the p*ss with this thread @Camphuw ? :wink:

4 Likes

I will buy some to try tomorrow……you never know if there are some clever genetics going on……great thread😁

3 Likes

Maybe get a lateral flow test?

Interestingly I’ve had more asparagus in recent weeks than in ages, and the aroma is still there but not as pungent. Perhaps slightly different growing conditions leading to a reduction in concentration of the offending chemical?

1 Like

Fully agree - much less than previous years

1 Like

Have you had COVID perhaps? Could you taste it? The asparagus that is, not the ……

As others have observed, always a new conversation topic on this forum!

1 Like

Nothing beats a good old asparagus whiz. I had some last night with a nice piece of eye fillet at the restaurant in our little holiday resort. The after-aroma was as good as ever.

2 Likes

Interesting thoughts … a PCR test the other week was negative. However, my urge for sweet things came back last week after three years. Maybe because my hens are laying … two lots of brownies, and ice cream so far.

It’s still early in the season. Wait until you get those nice fat ones on the plate.

1 Like

I admit that, although not sprue, they were less than little finger thick.

My allotment already producing v thick ones so that’s not likely to be the reason IMO

1 Like

My golden nose tells me that there is no difference for me.

Interestingly the Smithsonian article states that

Overall, scientists now conclude that most of the difference is in perception—that is, if your urine doesn’t seem to smell any differently after you eat asparagus, it’s likely that you simply can’t perceive the sulfurous compounds’ foul odor

Maybe your perception has changed. A hypothesis that will certainly be wildly contested on the Naim forum! :smiling_imp:
Of course there would be a simple test for that as well

1 Like

That’s a shame. Pungent aromas like asparagus whiz, and a good raspberry tart, are among life’s true pleasures. Apologies if anyone wandered into this thread by mistake and is offended.

3 Likes

A couple of hours on … faint aroma is back. Perhaps it was the variety of asparagus? It was a purple one.

1 Like

Much like wine, I’m sure I can tell the terroir.

3 Likes

Maybe a UK thing, I just had asparagus the other night and noticed the usual smell while evacuating the Bordeaux I had with our meal.

Is that rhyming slang?

Is it the asparagus season already? Certainly isn’t where I live. However I eat it all year round - and haven’t if there’s a difference this year it would seem to be within the bounds of normal variation according to my olfactory sense.

1 Like

I am in London and now in 4th week of sparrowgrass from my allotment

1 Like