Asset UPnP R6.6 Released

OK great thanks. It was just how I was reading it. I guess for my few 24 bit files I will still have the same problem that Mike had whereby Media Server only played them as 16 bit. I don’t have many at the moment.

Hi again, the fact that it is transcoding FLAC to WAV can be seen on your Naim app now playing screen. Not sure about 272, but my NDX screen also shows it’s playing WAV.

It’s not my screen shot, it’s from the how to do it instructions manual on Synology’s website
I clearly said in my post do not check downsample
The other Synology made circle item was not relevant
to your issue.

1 Like

Thank you Mike

After a very busy period of work I have now had some time to try out the transcoding to WAV facility using Media Server on my DS216 NAS. I have listened to quite a bit of my music which as I said is from FLAC files on my NAS. The NAIM app does indeed indicate that these FLAC files are being transcoded to WAV (I assume it is reliable as I don’t know any other way than the app to prove that what you are hearing is actually WAV). Anyway, the conclusion so far is that the sound of WAV does seem to be ever so slightly warmer on certain music and I think the FLAC stream sounds a little (and I mean a little) harsher perhaps with maybe more emphasis in some of the higher frequencies. But it does seem very marginal at the moment and I still need to do some more comparisons. However, as @Mike-B has alluded to there are two issues. The WAV stream is not gapless and my higher bit FLAC files (e.g. 24/96) are not being accurately transcoded it seems. e.g. on the app for a 24 bit/96.0 khz FLAC file, it says “96.0khz 3072kb/s”. I have done the maths and it doesn’t seem right. I think it should read 4000 kb/s? So my conclusion is that I will be trying Asset UPnP!

Yeah, you will not be disappointed.
24/96 should show as 4608kb/s, 3072 means it’s downsampling 24 bit to 16 bit

Ah yes thanks Mike. I got the maths wrong! I get it now, and the “per channel” adjustment! I’ll let you know what I think of Asset :slightly_smiling_face:

Bit rate X sample rate X channel number
e.g. 24 * 96 * 2 = 4608

Just spotted this.

Belated thanks Mike.

1 Like

No I think it’s downsampling to 24/48 or 24/44 still HD … 16/44 is 1411

Meni, Oddtimejon was talking specifically about playing a 24/96 file & he was questioning why he was seeing 3072kb/s on the display, it should be 4608.
This is a known problem with Synology Media Server transcoding, I’ve seen it many times

24x96x2 = 4608
16x96x2 = 3072 - this is what Synology transcoding does, it down samples the bit rate

FYI
24x48x2 = 2304
24x44x2 = 2112

1 Like

Sorry I’ve got your point

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.