Asset UPnP R7.2 Released

No not seen that, or at least not that I noticed.
I suspect it needed to rescan or maybe finish rescanning when you dropped in the new albums when it was in the middle of a rescan.

Having installed the trial package of Asset R7.2 for Synology DSM6 a couple of days ago on my NAS, I was quite enjoying the difference it made to browsing via the Naim App on my Android phone, especially when compared to Synologyā€™s own UPnP Media Server. By comparison, Asset is lightning quick to respond and is so much more flexible in terms of configuration.

However, the trial package I installed is reporting two hits on antivirus software -

VirusTotal: Asset-synology-trial.spk

Has anybody else here been using Asset and run into the same problem?

Iā€™ve never had a security alert from anywhere re Asset or Synology, where is this VirusTotal program installed? on the Synology?
I guess thatā€™s why Iā€™ve never had such an alert as I donā€™t have it.

VirusTotal is an online virus check portal. You upload a file or package and it checks it against a range of antivirus tools. In this case the Asset package triggers hits against two, one of which is BitDefender. Interestingly, VirusTotal was actually recommended by an administrator of the Asset forum, ā€˜Spoonā€™.

Maybe a post to Spoon will better answer your question.
My multilayer security BT Virus Protect, McAfee, MS/Windows Defender all seem happy.

Having already anticipated a response like that, Iā€™d already posted a message to Spoon in their forum. The prime reason for my request here though, was to elicit feedback from other Naim owners also using Asset, to see if my concerns were misplaced.

In your view, they clearly are, which I appreciate. Thankfully, I also got a response today from Spoon, who politely explained theyā€™d had consistent issues with BitDefender providing false positives. So, in that respect, Iā€™m now happy to continue and evaluate Asset as Iā€™d originally planned to do.

2 Likes

I loaded Asset R7.2 yesterday. Iā€™m trialling both Asset and latest Minimserver.
One thing Iā€™ve noticed with Asset is if transcoding Flac to wav I sometimes hear a faint glitch when starting next track. If I leave it as Flac no problem. Not noticed it with Minimserver.
Probably hearing things!

Not noticed that, I will open audio receptors one more turn & pin the lugs back later tonight.
What NAS do you have it installed on, it might be relevant

DS218play. Although I managed to repeat it I later played a classical album and never noticed it once.

One question, and asking because Iā€™ve seen people repeatedly say theyā€™re doing this. Why would you transcode from Flac to Wav in the media server if the player itā€™s feeding can happily handle Flac files? Surely, since Flac is technically ā€˜losslessā€™, youā€™re not really changing the music data being fed to the player.

I apologise in advance if the question sounds daft.

OK first the question of a noise at track change; no I donā€™t hear it. I have a Synology DS214 ā€¦

Why transcode. On the so called legacy Naim streamers itā€™s generally agreed WAV sounds slightly better than FLAC, that opinion includes most all the forum & also Naim. Yes FLAC is lossless, as is WAV, but the streamers have to decode both to raw PCM. Then more processing power is needed to unpack FLAC, so with transcoding unpacking done in the NAS, saving streamer process load, the streamer then only has to decode WAV.
Itā€™s generally agreed the new platform streamers are not so affected & there is no difference with or without transcoding.

1 Like

Hi Mike, thanks for the response, and I understand the explanation about the additional processing overhead required for Flac. Clearly as computing processors have got faster and more powerful, the overhead has become increasingly marginal, I just wasnā€™t sure whether I was missing something more fundamental. :slightly_smiling_face:

While Iā€™m on here, one other observation Iā€™ve made whilst using Asset, is regarding the best placement for playlists. Originally, before my recent introduction to Naim, I was using a Bluesound Node to feed my faithful and very treasured 30 year old Rotel amp. With the Node, it required playlists to be resident in the root of the music share folder on the NAS, however when I pointed Asset to the same playlists, they took ages to be displayed in the Naim app for selecting. Given this contrasted so starkly with the speed at which the rest of the music was displayed, I thought I must have something amiss with the file format. After trying several different playlist file types without any improvement, I finally twigged. I had the thought that when Asset is pointing to a specific folder for playlists, it has to go recursively through that folder and any subfolders it contains, before displaying the playlists it finds. So with my playlists in the root of the music shared folder, Asset was having to look into every artist and album folder on the drive.

Brief summation, simply place your playlists into a dedicated folder, with no subfolders inside it, then point Asset directly to that. Resultā€¦ almost instantaneous display of your playlists. Happy days.

Hi barkeyo, sorry but I donā€™t do playlists.
I make up a sort of playlist of individual tracks into a USB to play in the car, but donā€™t do playlists at home.

@barkeyo I am with Mike on this have used Asset now for a number of years folllowing Wonkey

Have HS 210 QNAP - all flies are stored in FLAC and then NDX plays as WAV

itā€™s a prefference and I am very happy with it

How Asset running on a RPi for many years, through different instances of this software. I have it set to transcode all PCM formats to WAV, with DSD as is.
I would of use Playlists in the Naim App, which you can backup through iTunes, so can be reimported as devices are changed.
I never experienced any details or issues.
I set maintain the Asset instance even though I use Roon with my NDS all of the time now.

I have both Asset and Minim on both Synology and QNAP and not heard a ā€œglitchā€ with any of them. Indeed, once the album or track is selected and playing, they all sound the same to me.

I donā€™t transcode either, at least not since my 272 left the house.

Roger

Iā€™m trialling Asset R7.2 on a lowly Synology DS212j, and thereā€™s no glitching whilst playing Flac files for me either.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.