At a crossroad

Knowing that at some point eventually, and probably not too far in to the future, Naim will release a replacement to the N272, @Rjt36 might be mindful to take advantage of the current used price of the 272 and to replace it with a less capable interim solution to then ultimately replace it with the yet to be released replacement to the 272.
I think if I was a current 272 + NAP owner and budget was constrained, the best thing to do may well be nothing at all as the best solution is probably just a newer version of what I already have.
Spending money now on an XPS DR or 555PS could be still beneficial in a sense as whatever replaces the 272 will likely be capable of being powered by the same PSU’s if Naim’s logic applies to any degree.
That still leaves the issue that when a replacement to the 272 comes out the value of the current 272 will plummet as current users rush to offload their well loved 272’s to replace it with the new shiny thing from Naim that replaces it, so I’d still be thinking about taking advantage of current used prices even if it means a stop gap solution which would keep things functional but allow for resell and migration to a streaming preamp later on.

1 Like

That’s an interesting thought, Mr.M. The obvious challenge is that while we suspect there will be a replacement we are not sure, either of the timing or the price. The immediate problem is one of imbalance and we can be pretty confident that adding a 555 will redress that imbalance. To sell the 272 now and make do with an interim solution would give worse sound now and necessitate the purchase of something at an unknown price in the future. While a new 272 may be better it may well be the case that a 272/555 is more than adequate and that there is no desire to upgrade. Used prices of 272s are already low and while they may drop further, that drop would be less than the saving achievable by picking up an ex dem new 272 a year after its introduction. That wait would also allow any initial teething troubles to be resolved.

If your talented enough and find yourself playing music at a crossroads on a full moon at midnight, you might get Mr Big D pull up in his limo and offer those Statements and the ultimate Utopias for a small price.

I was thinking out loud there to an extent!
Maybe it was the wording but my thinking was the addition of the 555PS to the existing system was the most beneficial and least risky factoring in for what it can be used to power both now and in the future.

I can not comment on the 272 since I only have heard it being used in the demo room.

Yes I do agree with you that the NDX 2 does sound excellent on its own, much better then the ND5 XS and NDX that I owned prior. My point being, with my ears the XPS-DR was a significant enhancement and after hearing the improvement I would not want to go with a bare NDX 2 again.

1 Like

@Rjt36 Or consider selling it all off Except the Sonos Farbers then getting a Naim NDX2 and a Luxman L-509X.

1 Like

Are you privy to information about a 272 replacement not available to others?

I’d also be curious about the OP’s thoughts since there’s been 52 responses to his/her question in the last two days !

I feel the OP is disappointed, opened this thread with the wishing that he can find another less expensive way to perform his system without spending for an 555 dr.
Only speculation from me.

Nova plus 250DR… :slight_smile:

Crossroad or not?
Find a system level that You are comfortable with. If that mean you should sell it all, do it. You can always adjust level later.

I have downgraded recently for several reasons, but kept the speakers for possible changes later. Sound sublime in my view :blush:

S

1 Like

It’s a fair comment, I’ve done the same multiple times having replaced everything apart from the speakers and speaker cables.
I guess the challenge here is the desire to keep the NAP 300 and SF speakers, those desires do dictate to a greater degree what else is required in terms of preamp and source to make keeping those components meaningful and enjoyable.
If the OP can let either or both of those go to create a new system that is consolidated and complimentary then of course the options open up again!

So, I’m truly grateful for all of your suggestions and expertise. I hope it’s perhaps been an interesting thread to others, who maybe in a similar position too.

My honest reflections are that I think my 2 most sensible options are:

Keep all that I know and love but accept that adding a 555ps is a good long term investment and will make the most of my set-up. Although we all know at some point the 272 will be next on the list!..

Or…

Sell the 272, 300dr and Olympica iii and move to an active set up; with many on the forum and a couple of contacts, recommending the Vega 2.1 and the ATC SCM40A. That may at least future proof the speakers and amplification, and reduce box counts, wires…But it’s not Naim.

But thank you to everyone who contributed and I will let you all know what I decide…:face_with_monocle:. Happy days.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.