ATC SCM 7 or something else?

Proac and possibly Harbeth.
Do not do Atc’s and you’ll be fine.

Have ordered the Proac. Should be here by the weekend :+1:

3 Likes

Outstanding choice!

Set up the new speakers today. The amp is doing more work, which is good, the midrange is a lot clearer and everything (especially the HF) is more detailed.

I put on Nick Drake - Time Of No Reply first, which initially sounded odd because of the extra midrange. Followed it with Giorgio by Moroder by Daft Punk - the vocals were perfect. Then Hey Now by London Grammer which sounded so so much better through the Proacs. The integration with my Wharfedale sub is also seamless and provides really clear detailed bass. All in all I’m over the moon. Thank you to everyone who has chimed in on this thread!

Heres everything in situ (note custom speaker stand made out of an old bed!)…

5 Likes

Working my way through some favorites. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Cymande - The Message and numerous others. Just great! Its like rediscovering my music collection, i’m hearing it in a totally different way. Perhaps the “right” way, finally

1 Like

Their ability to be positioned near front wall plus moving to ear height helps, and they will improve with break-in and you could consider some isolation under the speakers - which cable are you using?

Generic 4mm copper strand

edit: its 4mm not 2.5

To get more relaxed sound and more details you want the Nac 72 standing free from that 140.

Why is that? EMI issue or something?

One of the benefits of a separate pre and power amp is that you distance the sensitive bits, particularly the phono stage, from the big transformer. By putting the pre on top of the power, you instantly negate the benefit.

1 Like

Rather than lowering the speakers, why not try the ATCs upside down?

Thanks for the tip. I’ve just looked up the manual and it says minimum distance should be 300mm :sweat_smile:

Perhaps I’ll have a go at making up a table top stand that can help to meet these requirements

I did consider that. I ended up just repositioning everything

What the halibut said. I’ve a wonderful 72/hi/140 and I first ran it as a 72/140 on top of a cupboard. Following forum advice I moved the 140 under the cupboard out of sight and it instantly sounded better. It also helped cable routing.

1 Like

In the words of one of history’s great luminaries “I have a cunning plan”. Will post an update tomorrow

Had an old separates stand I could chop up. NAP140 is now tucked away in the corner. Here’s everything rearranged…

Also, I’ve got these spikes. Mileage in making up some small speaker plinths with them?

5 Likes

Ok, here’s the final update (I promise).

I’ve swapped the stand for a different section of the aforementioned “old separates stand” as I didn’t like the proportions and added a nice solid stone tile (that I found in my garden) under the speaker for some isolation.
Only thing left to add is a DIY VanDamme cable for the Raspberry Pi, a Nagaoka cartridge that a friend has for me and a new plinth for the turntable (which I’ll get round to in the fullness of time).

Really enjoying the sound of this setup and feel like I’ve made all the upgrades I need.

Thanks again to all!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.