ATC SCM19 vs Dynaudio Special 40

I did consider the Dali but it’s the Epicon 2, not Rubicon 2. I inquired the price from the dealer and it is almost double the cost of the ATC SCM19. I prefer the looks of the Epicon 2 and the dealer reassured it is a Mentor Menuet on steroids.

So far it can go either way and I’m not in a rush.

Harbeth M30. 2
ATC SCM19
Dali Epicon 2

The Dali is the costliest especially if the matching stands are included. The Ruby Macassar finish looks very nice though when compared to ATC.

Hmmm, I don’t know what to think about all these comments regarding the S40 - they got a lot of positive reviews on the Web and I must say that - I only listened to them briefly - I was impressed …

1 Like

Simple: unless you want/require absolute fidelity (as, for example, might a monitoring engineer) then speaker matter of personal taste in presentation, and one person may love a speaker and another loathe it (and that applies to reviewers as well as usj.ATC of course have a primary focus on accuracy because that is their design philosophy; I have no idea if the same applies to Dynaudio. If they both have the same focus, then differences (and hence personal preferences) are simply an indication of how far from perfection one, the other, or both are…

Think you’re right - only want to avoid S40 bashing :wink:

While it in always interesting to hear various opinions, it is obvious to me that nobody has yet designed a speaker that is all things to all men. I auditioned the S40 against various bookshelf alternatives. I bought them, and am very happy. I am into rock and pop, electronic 80s etc, and they give the sound I love. Others might prefer different speakers, or floorstanders, great, but that is not to say they are better than the S40. Just different shades of excellence

4 Likes

I have no more idea of ATC’s future plans than I do of Naim’s possible new boxes. However, ATC do not bring out new products very often. As Musicraft, above, states the 19v2 came out in 2013 with the new in-house tweeter and curvy cabinet, but on the “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” principle, my guess is that it is unlikely that they’ll replace it any time soon. But really your guess is as good as mine.

Roger

If you lack patience. The dynaudio special 40s are not for you. They 100% take some time to break in. Going through really dodgy patches. But ultimately an excellent speaker. Especially for the price. Plus they look the dogs :tennis::tennis:… especially in red :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nor ever will, it seems, because we all like different ‘sounds’ of music, some preferring the bass reduced, others the mid enhanced, others the treble brighter, some wanting “warmth” , some liking the sound quite coloured, and some liking it to be completely neutral and identical to the sound as captured in the finalised recording.

I like mine. They do respond really well to great ancillary gear… Speaker cables and source and placement, etc… They will for sure tell you if the rest of your kit isn’t up to the job. In this way they remind me of Thiel speakers… in someways too cheap for their own good. So someone springs for S40’s and then cheap’s out on the supporting cast…and then blames the speakers. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

4 Likes

You are right, they had used both ! :rofl:

The bass loose ? In wich unit you find the bass loose ?

ATC i a bit like Naim, they dont release product just to release product, the new must have a big improvement to be release

The harbeth M30.1 and M30.2 might be available at lowered prices as harbeth has just announced “revised” speakers in an xd line. I had guessed it would mean new tweeters, but further reading suggests it is more in the wiring/connectors and crossover improvements. Either way, I’ll happily hold onto my 30.1

The SCM150psl, most likely I think it is the amp. Because it is not using naim at that time when I heard it singing.

Hi Ryder,

I have a smaller room than yours, 3m by 3.8m and am using a pair SCM 19A. If you’re going for a pair of passive 19, you probably want to stay at, at least NAP250. They are still rather power hungry I will say.

As per one other who contributed here, I will upgrade to a higher model within ATC range. They are accurate, detail without listening fatigue, great midrange and tuneful tight bass.
Good imaging and coherent. These are bonus in my opinion. They just do music, listen to them for a period and having some other speakers, ATC just do it for me.

I have no experience with Dynaudio S40, cannot comment on that.

Have fun

Hi CKF, thanks for the post. Being active I’m sure the SCM19A would sound fabulous and quite a bit better than the passive 19. Although I initially shortlisted the SCM19, M30.2 and Epicon 2, I decided to take a different route and had gone with the Marten Duke 2. I’m sure all speakers will sound great in the right system and room apart from personal preference coming into play. So many choices and we have to pick just one.

I think I’ll end my journey here now. Seriously…

I have never heard any Marten speakers myself, but I would think they are the exact opposite of your Harbeth’s. Ceramic components have me thinking they might be bright sounding? Of coarse that could be completely wrong, and maybe you were looking for something different from what you are used to, so good luck with the new speakers. Let us know your thoughts once they arrive.

Sweet! These are the Marten Duke 2 Heritage? So it has the Accuton drivers SWEET😎 did you get that beautiful wood finish?

Yes, it is the Marten Duke 2 Heritage with the Accuton ceramic drivers. I got the piano walnut finish with matching stands.

I spoke to a friend who has experience with the Duke 2 and he mentioned that the Dukes are very revealing but not bright. The treble is said to be more extended and slightly brighter than the Harbeth P3ESR but it is smooth and not bright. The Dukes can go loud without exhibiting strain and the bass was said to have great depth, punch and slam, sounding real. In comparison to ATC, the ATC is said to have a more forward sound while the Proac D2 having a detailed and even brighter sound. Similarly he found the Proac to sound a bit bright with tone of instruments and percussion sounding a bit unrealistic. Will see how it goes.

1 Like