ATC SCM19 vs Dynaudio Special 40

@ryder I think you do yourself a great disservice if you don’t get a listen to the ProAc D2R… Just sayin’

1 Like

What Heybrook model is it. I have a pair of Heybrook HB2R.

The Harbeth mid driver is pretty special too. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate its talent, perhaps a tad more than the dedicated ATC mid dome in SCM40. I had to let SCM40 go after losing a long bass vs room battle.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Though I think they did also use the Seas T250001 tweeter

@halloweenman Interested to hear why the ATC 40s didn’t work out. What is the size of your room? Did you have passive or active 40s?

For me personally the Dynaudios are end game speakers in a naim context

I went to an audition of top b&w speakers with my naim amplifiers and was impressed

But came home and hooked up my Dynaudios and didn’t feel the need to upgrade anything

2 Likes

My room is more or less 4m squared, traditional Edwardian, with bay windows, chimney breast, suspended timber floor boards, and solid walls. It’s a difficult room for bass.

SCM40 are a masterpiece, superb speakers that I wanted to keep. Just offered too much bass energy for my room which has a +12db peak between 40-50hz. There is a big uplift in sound quality between them and SCM19. The frequency response spec on SCM40 is quite modest but the bass rolls off very slowly unlike ported speakers. Don’t be fooled, they are full range speakers.

SCM19 worked perfectly in the room, as do Harbeth 30.1. They don’t excite the room modes like SCM40 did.

I preferred 30.1 to SCM19 but those were my top two speakers after many auditions to replace SCM40.

1 Like

Interesting that PMC have replaced the tweeter on their new twenty5i range. Another speaker worth considering is their new twenty5i.22, the grain some reported might now have disappeared.

I auditioned the Twenty5.22 and it was third on my list behind SCM19 and 30.1. As others have mentioned, it was a little top heavy with some grain. Like 30.1, bass was perceived to be more extended than SCM19 which I felt was a tad bass light for my taste.

Will do Ryder, just an update to an earlier post I made about the special 40’s being updated. That is wrong apparently, Otto Jorgensen, the product manager from Dyn just replied on the AVS forum, stating that “rumour” is false. Updates will be made to other lines, but he is tight lipped as to what exactly.

2 Likes

Coincidently, I received my new Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary speakers today :grinning:

I decided to upgrade from 30.1 after receiving a trade in offer I couldn’t refuse and I much prefer the finish on the 30.2, the silver eucalyptus finish is stunning.

First impressions… wow. Everything is improved, especially bass timing. They sound more coherent, clear, and refined without losing any of the Harbeth musicality and warmth. These are wonderful speakers that play everything well, regardless of genre.

Those that claim Harbeth can’t do rock are wrong imo. As for Unknown Pleasures (an album I’ve been listening to since I was a teen), sounds better than ever, the rich textures and depth of Peter Hook’s bass in New Dawn Fades, the snare drum reverb tails, together with Curtis emotive vocal all wonderfully rendered. This is a track where I felt SCM19 did not dig deep enough.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick insight on the M30.2. Now I got to find a pair for myself!

The place I am going in Toronto said they have a pair of 30.1’s on display, and a pair of 30.2’s in stock. I also will inquire about the new XD model, and potential price increases.

I got a great deal from Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh.

There’re on offer at the moment as they are now discontinued due to the new XD range. The XD range are an attempt for Harbeth to harmonise and reduce their model lineup, including what they learned from the 40th Anniversary upgrades.

1 Like

I left Dyn contour 3.2 for active ATC SCM 40 . I love them, I would probably not contemplate change as nothing except larger ATC come close.
However, I did miss the lower bottom end of the Dyns cf the ATC due to IB design v ported design.so I got a sub, a REL serie 5 SHO, which blends seamlessly , and superb bass.
Hifi heaven for me.

So you have tried the DALI’s, they sound rather good, but nevertheless you keep searching elsewhere? No disrespect to those brands, I am sure they make terrific speakers, but since you mention you like the Menuets, why not try the Rubicons2’s, they certainly do not lack bass, are refined and are definitely less lit than for example PMC20.22, have tried the latter in a home demo for a couple of days and the grain in the high frequencies was pretty obvious…I am keeping my Rubicons, and I have these for more than 5 years now, must be a reason for this I guess.

5 Likes

No idea or any news. SCM V2 was released in 2013.

Speakers are like significant others. We all have different taste and you never know until you live with them.

For me, the ATC 11 and 19 are rare Speakers in the fact they time right and virtually have no time smear. The S40’s “sound” amazing but in the end bored me.

1 Like

I doubt it, at least based on history: ATC are not a fashion brand, their main market being firmly pro. The external changes of ‘v2’ were, I believe’ primarily ATC realising it was missing a trick with its domestic versions still being quite utilitarian, simply veneered versions of the studio models, so they did some mainly cosmetic changes.

Otherwise their various models historically have looked the same and kept the same model numbers, but improved unannounced from time to time as things like driver revisions resulted in better (though often visually identical) drivers - so you don’t get name variants like B&W’s 802 D1, D2, D3 etc.But such changes with ATC have been improved accuracy in something already accurate, so differences small, and no change if character unlike some people report with the likes of B&W.

Whether they will follow up with more attention to cosmetics is of course unknown to anyone but them.

1 Like

I had a very similar experience with my Spendor A7’s versus S40’s, connected the A7’s back up after about 2 weeks with the S40’s and thought wow that’s better!