Atom HE with active speakers in small/ medium sized room

That was the Linn/Naim little red book… Other approaches existed, and thrived, with no threat of excommunication :grin:

The Atom HE is more than good enough for now, especially with the PMC’s. NSC222 is possible future update if funds allow.

3 Likes

So, when I bought my very first “real” hifi system, consisting of Garrard record deck, Rogers’ valve amp and Celstion Ditton speakers, I was following the ‘Linn/Naim red book’. That’s interesting as it was before either firm was founded. Never knew I was so clairvoyant. What a career opportunity I’ve missed!

Roger

2 Likes

I think I nay have misunderstood, reading this

as source first, but maybe you simply meant you had to buy all three to make a system and there was no “rulebook” stating order of importance - that indeed being how I remember it before the church of source first was founded by Linn with Naim as a key discipke.

Hi @Dipper

Just doing research and found then read your thread.
It’s a great read :+1:

Congrats on your new speakers.
Have these been delivered and set up at home yet?

Just over the weekend, demo’d passive and active 23i’s and was really impressed.
I mean, liked the passive, but active was a step up.

I’m also interested, did you listen to active ATC’s, as this is mentioned but isn’t reported. I’m guessing you were impressed with active 23i and went for it.

Best wishes
R

1 Like

Hi Ratrat,

can you give some more details of the full set-up driven by the PMC actives ?

Sure
Same system as stated in profile.

Source
ND5 XS + CD5 XS → DC1 → nDAC → HiLine

Amplifier
SN3 + HCDR

Demo was with…
PMC Twenty5 23i passive and active
ATC SCM40 passive and active

Thx.

Very interesting path combining with the SN3. Will search for a demo in my neighbourhood.

Hi @ratrat, I bought a pair of ex-demo passive 23i’s (for a bargain) but I’m still waiting for the active upgrade kit - may be another 6 or 7 weeks yet. Supply and demand issues I believe.

At the demo I was so impressed with the active 23i’s with the Atom HE that I didn’t bother listening to the ATC’s. To be honest I like the look and size of the PMC’s more anyway.

It took several weeks for my dealer to get their demo active board and then, when I placed my order, I was told that it may take another two months for delivery of mine so I’m making do with my Focal Clear Mg and Celestee ‘phones for now (which isn’t at all bad):grin:

3 Likes

Nice :+1:
Congrats again
And thanks for sharing the details

Like you, was impressed with the active 23i’s so just thinking about it.

Good luck
R

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.