Atom Heart Mother

I think I made you listen to Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast some years ago, which you said you hate…

But this is one of the most innovative pieces of art ever: the fly, the fried eggs… Who can not love it?

Surely you know the title is about the successful implant of a pacemaker, taken raw from a newspaper, another innovation.

I find it relaxing, interesting, funny. I am glad you are warming to it.

1 Like

The original LP ends with the sound of the tap which continues into the inner groove, and thus plays on indefinitely.

Amazing!

Don’t remember that, Raphael, but hey, I am getting on a bit. :grinning:
And you may well be right regarding my views of Alan’s Brekkie. :laughing:

I was not aware of the “pacemaker” connotation.

I didn’t buy the LP - but have a couple of variants on CD.

One of the daily plays in my sixth form at school, along with Johnny Winter’s first and others. Can’t remember how we got a turntable - someone’s mono portable I think.

Love it.

1 Like

Yeah, it would have hit me in the sixth as well. I think we had a “gramophone” in the “Assembly Hall”.

1 Like

Found it!

Goodness me. Yes, I obviously wasn’t impressed :laughing: And maybe I’m still not, as regards Alan’s Brekkie.

Love this album, along with Meddle my two most played Floyd albums.

1 Like

“Meddle”……an altogether different story……PF at their finest from start to finish!

1 Like

The solo at 10 mins into AHM is one of Gilmours best.
If is a good tune too.
Saw Nick Mason and co play them both a couple of months back.
It’s not on a par with Meddle or Dark Side but definitely worth persevering with.
Love the cover too.

2 Likes

I have always loved AHM, the track as complete first side on vinyl that is - the remainder of the album less so, If being the only other track I have played much.

1 Like

Summer ‘68 is my favourite on side 2.

1 Like

Re: Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast

One rainy morning I pulled up my CD rip of AHM and downloaded Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast into Audacity - carefully stripped out all the frying etc and ended up as half decent Pink Floyd track. Then filed it away with the album in Flac and called it Alan’s Alternative Psychedelic Breakfast.

5 Likes

@AndyP this is a wonderful idea that I have to try. Kindly let me know if I should pay you any royalties.

1 Like

Just as well Roger didn’t get his way with the ‘Household Objects’ album !

1 Like

I like ‘Atom Heart Mother’. It was quirky and of its time, although it had some great moments. I saw them perform an early version of the piece at the Royal Albert Hall, when they referred to it as ‘Untitled’. I also went to the free concert in Hyde Park when the title track track was performed with brass section and choir. I remember the intonation of the brass players was very poor.

Let me know if you need any help.

I wasn’t very fond of it, but it has grown on my over the years, especially the title track – which is very peculiar when you think about it – and “Fat Old Sun”.

Back in about 2008 I saw a performance at London’s Cadogan Hall of the main suite by the Italian band Mun Floyd, with a brass section conducted by co-composer Ron Geesin… and a certain D. Gilmour on guitar (I sat in the same row as Storm and Polly!). And very good it was too.

To be fair to old Rog, none of them liked it very much… except Nick!

1 Like

I have a feeling that “Wine Glasses” from the “Household” sessions (or at least a variation of it) was used on a later PF album.