Atom on its way!

A happy ending! Enjoy the new system, I’m sure you’ll love it.

1 Like

You can disable unused inputs in the input settings menu to de-clutter the home page, but the order can’t be changed.

Just had a very full day of speaker testing, listening to Dynaudio Evoke 20s, Evoke 30s, Focal Chora 826s and ProAc Response D20R speakers.

All of them mark a huge step up from my current speakers, but in the end, the ProAcs won the day.

They had exceptional sound staging with a lyrical musicality that seemed effortless. Orchestral pieces seemed 3 dimensional, really impressive!

Thanks all for the suggestions and help!

Mark

5 Likes

Hello. I’m also planning to use my Atom (not arrived yet !) for occasional use with the TV for films etc but the wife won’t want it on for watching Flog It!

For various reasons using optical will be much easier for me than hdmi. I don’t need the atom to auto-switch on or to be able to control its volume using the TV remote (as mentioned in above posts) as it’s just for occasional use.

Will I be missing any other useful features? As per above posts I guess the sound quality will be pretty much the same. Thanks!

For me a big one was lip sync. With HDMI it’s correct automatically, with optical you have to do it. I found it near impossible to get it right, especially as you need to set a value. Wait until active. Check. Go back into the settings to try a different one etc.

Although it is of course a thing you do once.

The must have lucked out, lip sync was bang on with optical for me… just in case I ever need to do it though, are the lip sync settings hidden in the Naim app somewhere?

Ignore that, found the settings :+1:t2:

Hi, optical is fine for hooking up the TV. There is a lip sync adjustment on both optical and HDMI inputs if you need it. Whether or not this gives you accurate sync will depend partly on the TV, but usually seems to work OK.
If you do use HDMI, you can disable auto switching, so if you don’t want it to come on automatically you have the option.

Has anyone seen Atom sold secondhand or just too ‘new’?

:small_blue_diamond:@Anonymoot,…Two or three are out on an ad here in Sweden.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Also consider the Neat Iota Xplorers, superb speakers and can often be found discounted. I run a pair with my Star and love them (sounded superb on my UQ2 also).

I have a pair of ProAc Response D20s waiting for me at my local dealer, but can’t pick them up as they are closed and everyone furloughed!

I was not able to find a nearby dealer for the Neat speakers, so was unable to demo… more than happy with the ProAcs, they really put a smile on my face, can’t wait to actually get them home!

2 Likes

I have owned The Atom for a couple of years now and it’s a great piece of kit for the money. I’m sure you will dig it.
I’ve paired mine with a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 705s2, NAC A5 & a recommended B&W DB4-Sub.
Originally I think I would have got some small floorstanders, but a small crazy claw happy kitten put that nice thought out the window. Hence my stand mounts & a sub for compensation! It all sounds amazing anyway so no real hardship. Just a heads up that I use it a lot with my Apple TV for movies and only use AirPlay not optical. I find for me, I prefer the integration and on screen display on my iphone (Naim App) . Also I switched from Tidal to Qobuz immediately it was price dropped. I found Tidal Hifi a little harsh on my ears. A little bright. Now with up to 192khz playback integration on Qobuz. The Atom shines! Enjoy yours. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh wow that really must be hard waiting for speakers! At least you have something to plug in for the time being. I had quite a few demos for similar-sized floorstanders - interesting that none of the speakers you demoed were on my list. I guess it depends what dealers nearby stock. I tried Focal Aria 926s (a bit out of budget!) Fyne F502s, Quad S4s, Monitor Audio Gold 100s (tried some bookshelves as well) and Piega Classic 5.0s. I couldn’t believe the difference in presentation and the Piegas edged it for 3d soundstage and a clean detailed sound. I’m still amazed that such a small box can drive speakers well enough to give convincing orchestral dynamics at (cough) “exciting” listening levels. Plus you’re past the teething problems that earlier app/firmware editions had so you’ve chosen a great time to jump in. There were some pretty frustrating times but I haven’t had a single issue for several months now, it just works and they keep adding features that I (and obviously many others) requested like internet radio search etc. Enjoy!

1 Like

What about MA Silver 6, is it big bite for Atom? Sensitiviti is 90db but recomended amp is 60-150W?!

Tricky one. I would say the Atom punches above its power rating but it’s hard to say they will work well if it’s below the speakers’ minimum rated power. Something I have heard said and found myself when demoing, is bass can become too heavy and uncontrolled with inappropriate speakers - I was warned away from my Piegas’ bigger brother for that reason. The only way to find out is listen of course, but that can be hard. Luckily MA speakers are super common in dealers so probably not hard to find a demo. I’m very sensitive to bass issues and I tend to err on the light side - I can’t stand it becoming the dominant feature in almost any record.

1 Like

I hope you like your Atom I ready do.
I have a bit of a love hate relationship with mine with the random volume jumps to 100 and screen freezes. Biggest issue for me is an edginess to the top end and with the ProAc’s this may be too much.
I took mine back to the dealer and we demoed it against some other options such as the Nova. Whilst the Nova was better it still had the edginess.
The Uniti range of all in one devices are excellent though. I hope you enjoy yours.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.