Atom Uniti Headphones Edition

The Atom HE with a power amp is a very good system. I had one with a Benchmark AHB2. A superb combination and superior to a 250 DR.

As always, where you can, audition at a dealer.

3 Likes

sorry what amp was better than 250 DR , then? thx

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice! Much appreciated.

I gather that the Atom HE with a NAP250 DR is a popular solution. It seems also “reasonable” (price-wise) - compared to a new system with 333 and 350 (which would be way more expensive and would not use the Atom HE any more, so it’s not really an “upgrade path” to it - although the quality would be much better of course…).

Now I wonder if a NAP250 would really be much of an improvement compared to the Cyrus 200 (which is not a bad power amp). I’ll try to make a test at a dealer’s shop. Maybe another explanation is that the Focal Aria 926 are a bit “cold” and not ideal for old jazz and I am looking for a different sound (since, indeed, I have no complaint about the sound of the Atom HE with the headphones)…

Thanks again for your help! =)

1 Like

New Classic systems include a headphone amp as well as a streamer and preamp, so you wouldn’t need to use the Atom HE. That applies to the 200 level system too, which is still not cheap, but it’s a lot cheaper than the 300 stuff. A 222 would be a big upgrade on the HE, and you could still use it with your existing amp, a 250DR, or pretty much any other power amp.

Just a thought, as you have highlighted it’s the speakers , what about an active pair ?

@garcon has run direct comparisons between HE and 222 at home. YMMV but perhaps this gives you some more information starting here:

Read the thread further down. Steve Sells also gives some info further down about the differences. But the take home here is that you will need to listen to both 222 and HE in the same setup and environment to know if the investment is worth it to your ears.

If you do go 222, this uses the same headphone technology as the HE and also uses it in the pre-amp path so no worries about headphone performance there. As for the 332 I do not know yet.

Again a disclaimer: I am not at all trying to suggest the Atom HE is as good as the new Classics. If I had the budget and space I would be taking delivery of a 300 system tomorrow. Its just about bang for your buck and not abandoning something that is pretty good too soon before you know its full potential and what you are getting rid off. The medical term for this being"upgraditus".

3 Likes

Just to avoid misunderstandings: a complete 300 system is 333+332+350. (Without any optional power supplies or other sources.)

Ive heared the focal aria’s a couple of times at my dealer with xs level amplification xs3 and nd5xs2 streamer, it wasn’t cold at all more towards b&w sound in my experience.

When I compared the HE with the 272 with 250.2 and Focal 1028be, the preamp of the 272 was much better, only the headphone output was worse.

Hang onto your Atom HE! It’s a lovely piece of kit that delivers all the Naim new classic sound in a beautiful small box.
I would try another power amp, probably the NAP250, instead of the Cyrus 200 with your speakers . I use my HE interchangeably with the 250NC, the Nait 50 and Nytech depending on speakers, room and for a change.

3 Likes

I had a discussion with a “Naim Representative” at the Bristol HIFI Show around the Nova PE and an Atom HE witn a power amp…. The advice was if you’re aiming for lifestyle then PE, if you’re aiming for sound then HE + Power. Perhaps too much was said…. :joy:

8 Likes

Again, thanks to everyone for the precious comments!

Based on what was said, I’m in favour of trying a different amp (since the lack of punch does not apply to the headphone set-up), probably a second-hand NAP 250 (best “bang for the buck”), to assess whether it brings a big change over the Cyrus 200 (which is a class D amp, and I’ve read that these are sometimes more difficult to pair correctly with speakers).

As to the headphone set-up, for those who use the Atom HE as a preamp with speakers too, do you leave the headphones permanently “plugged” into the HE (when the headphone button is “off”), or do you unplug the headphones?

3 Likes

If you have use the headphones button on the HE you can happily leave the headphones connected.

1 Like

I’ve been using my HE with my Devialet 250 on pass through as a power amp and it’s sounds excellent. A big step up from the Devialet alone in terms of soundstage, bass and timing. Planning on getting a 222/250 but wondering if 222/300 and keep the Devialet on power might be better babe for the buck?

1 Like

A 250 will make your HE so much more vibrant, lifelike and alive (vs the Devialet), of course in my experience.

The HE+250 gives you 90-95% of 222-250 for streaming only (also, again, in my experience, at present I do own and use both the HE and 222 at home).

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m getting the 222 as I have a Vertere DG1 and a couple hundred LPs. Also I want the HE back in the office. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good plan!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another last thought about the upgrade of the Atom HE… in your opinion, would a second-hand NAP 250 be a better fit with the Atom HE (used as a streamer and a preamp), or would the Nait 5SI be better (as an integrated amp, but thus making the HE’s preamp unused)? I guess both would cost appox the same amount (and I heard a Nait 5SI this afternoon at a friend’s, sounded pretty cool)…

If a 250 is too expensive, get a 200 not a Nait 5si. Atom HE & 200 / 250 is really something.

Naits are great - I love them and have 2 of them but a 250 amp is a major step up.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely the 250 (or 200) for me too. The HE has a very good preamp.

1 Like