Audiolab 7000 CDT mech failure

Blasted thing isn’t even a year old and doesn’t get used all that much, but has stopped reading discs completely.
Dealer is collecting it via courier Monday and hopefully will repair/replace pronto.
Very annoying, as I just borrowed a bunch of CD’s from a mate and can’t now play them🙄

Same experience with same model but mine only lasted two months. Was replaced through my dealer but after having already returned a 6000 due to usability issues, I’ve given up on that brand completely.

I put the replacement 7000 in the bottom of my wardrobe and bought a Marantz CD 6007 which has been perfect for my needs.

3 Likes

If I’d used it more, mine may not have lasted as long as it did I guess🙄
It has a 3 year warranty so let’s hope it doesn’t recur.
They’re a good brand that have been around a long time. They surely can’t all fail…:man_shrugging:t2:
Maybe I’ll sell it or trade it in when I get it back for something with a bit more quality🤔

Anybody got any experience of the Roksan Attessa CDT or the Emotiva ERC-4 Differential Reference CDP/T?
Might try and trade it in whilst it’s away at repair and the dealer sells these two🤷🏻‍♂️
CD is my 3rd and least used source, but I’m not ready to give it up.
Sadly I don’t have enough CD’s to really justify the cost of a Core and if I bought one Mrs Q’s inquisition just doesn’t bear thinking about🫣

Pretty sure whenever I buy my next CD player it will be one of the Japanese brands higher models because of all of this.

Bruising Denon?

My Rotel 965-bx is still going strong in parents system.

Or Exposure?

Auditioned the Rotel in 95/96? Remember it well.

Had Rotel pre and monoblocs at the time.

It lost out to the Marantz Signature and ultimately I bought a Micromega (and soon added separate DAC).

Little bit earlier than that, circa 1991. I lusted after a 906b from Meridian but couldn’t stretch to the £900 of that at the time so it was the Rotel at £300. Fantastic player.

Was replaced next by a Teac VRDS T1 and audio alchemy Dac in the box, not actually sure that combination ever really was any improvement over the cohesiveness of the Rotel.

1 Like

Heady days. My Micromega cost me the princely sum of 600 quid (or was it 650).

Quite a lot at the time.

Found the Meridians square and fugly. Had not discovered naim at the time (although my cousin had LP12 and shoebox 72/HC/140 I think at the time).

Micromega just looked more “modern”.

Still doesn’t look too daggy now.

1 Like

They were saucy players at the time.

1 Like

I’ve got an Arcam Alpha 9 somewhere in the loft, that was a helva player with a Dcs Ring Dac and sounded stunning with Densen b-100 beat amp and B&W 805n’s.

2 Likes

Not long replaced the failed drawer wheels in my old Arcam Alpha 5 player, and after a bit of surgery now as smooth as silk and plays really well :+1:

1 Like

Mrs Q will quickly realise what a bargain CDs are and how quickly you will recover the cost of your Core by buying fewer LPs. She’ll also appreciate the aesthetic beauty of the Core. You know you want one! You could of course try an Atoll CD player. But you know it’s a Core you really want.

1 Like

You can get a new (or very nearly new) Core for maybe 1500.

Not exactly cheap for a device with quite serious shortcomings, but those are all software related.

The hardware is pretty bulletproof.

No, still believe the Core to be an unnecessary adventure. I would be quite content with a fully functional Audiolab 7000CDT, or in the event of that not being possible, an alternative sub £1k CDT.
As previously mentioned, CD is my 3rd source behind NDX2 (also acting as DAC for the CDT) and LP12.

1 Like

Check out the Shanling ET-3 transport. Mine has worked flawlessly, and costs only about $700 new.

J Mac

1 Like

Hi Jimmy, thanks for the recommendation. Sadly can’t have a top loader as the player sits on a low shelf in the rack…:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

How about one of the Cyrus transports?

A Cyrus CD T is £1295 new

1 Like

Yeah, I considered a Cyrus when I bought the Audiolab crispy, but that’s darn close to preloved Core money & at the risk of repeating myself CD is very much 3rd source🫤

True - but is very good and won’t fail on you!

I think Cambridge Audio do a transport around the £500/600 mark?