Audiolab 7000 CDT mech failure

That would be great, Naim already use the steam unlimited streaming board. However though they share the same name,

“Please note that StreamUnlimited Engineering and StreamUnlimited Optical Storage (SUOS-hifi) are separate entities, both commercially and legally.”

Either way, that optical mechanism seems to be one of the only new CD mechs made for hifi in recent times. The higher end Project players use it IIUC. From the SUOS website it sounds like a bunch of ex Philips engineers were involved.

2 Likes

Definitely a market for a transport, so many of us have a wall of cds at home, it obviously will take some r&d but imagine the wealth of knowledge naim have in cd playback. Like all other naim products, it wont be dime a dozen so the faithful ex naim cd owners will come forward and so will others who love the format.

3 Likes

Not wishing to tempt fate but I bought my Audiolab 6000 at a bargain brand new price of £299. That was 13 months ago and no issues. As I have commented before, through my ND5XS2, it sounds much better than the CD5Si it replaced.

1 Like

If only there was a public forum where like minded Naim users expressed their views on existing/past products their desires for the future.
If only the potentates that run the Naim Empire could tap into such a resource and garner knowledge on what the Naim faithful desired.
If only… :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

If my memory serves me right the stream unlimited cd mechanism was mentioned as having been tried by Naim, during a factory visit. For whatever reason……it either did not impress or they thought streaming would be more viable?

1 Like

I don’t think that a CD transport is on Naim’s roadmap…

1 Like

Oh that is interesting, I hadn’t heard that! A recent factory visit? I’ll have a search if it was mentioned on here.

I wonder how they evaluated it, I thought that part of what made Naim’s CD players good was the mechanism interfacing, which took time to optimise for each mech. I wonder if they can measure a mech and understand from that how easy it would be to work with it? Anyway, thanks for the lead :slight_smile: I’m under no illusions on the likelihood of Naim returning to CD, but am interested in the engineering and process and rationale they employ in these sorts of decisions (as far as we can deduce them from what gets written about on here!)

No……it was in a passing comment with the then MD Trevor Wilson in the context of Naim had just announced discontinuing , i think the cdx2.

1 Like

Yes Stephen the CXC.

Ive had one for a few years now and very pleased with it.

I use it quite regularly.

1 Like

I’ve had failures with the 7000 and the 6000, as well as an Exposure XM CD and an ATC CD2. In all cases got a refund, though a couple required a bit of nudging.

I wonder if it was a faulty batch of chips ??
Before them I had the Cyrus CDT (no faults) and now the (older) Exposure 3010S2 (also no faults). In fact the last player to play up before this lot was the Naim CDI in the 1990s, probably due to the original top-hat puck.

1 Like

If looking for CD transports, I’d take a look at the following;

Budget;

Cambridge CXC

Teac CD200 (ok, it’s a player as well, but a very solid transport with in house mech)

More upmarket:

Teac VRDS701T

Moon 260dT

CEC TL5

CEC TL2N

& the mighty CEC TL0-3

[ I suspect many Naim users would like the sonic match with CEC, although I haven’t tried that myself but have had several CEC players]

4 Likes

What about the Roksan ?

The [quote=“simon, post:51, topic:36507”]
Teac VRDS701T
[/quote]
Is quite a good match aesthetically to the NC kit as well……

ATB, J

Thanks for the suggestion Osiris, but that is way outside of the budget mate. If I were willing to stretch to £2k I would definitely be buying a Core😉

It’ll be in the conversation Ian, but going to see how the 7000 repair pans out first.

Bearing in mind the Core, as I understand it, isn’t really a transport but can play back ripped content through the digital output, ie doesn’t play the CD in real time, not that it really matters :grin:.

I agree that £2k is a lot for a CD transport, particularly when so many have had great success with the AudioLab 6000 CDT, I too would be minded to see how the 7000 repair goes - probably replace the drive mech and hey presto good as new.

If you do end up looking for a ripper/server the Innuos Zen Mini is worth a look, it too can replay ripped content over both digital and analogue outputs, but again is around £2k these days, although usually available s/h for a lot less.

Good with the repairs,

ATB, J

1 Like