Audioquest 707 power conditioner

I’ve had a 3000 for at least 3 years, I bought it after trying the 1200 for a couple of weeks and bought the next model up . I took it out of my system once for about 10 minutes and then put it back … Very good IMO .

3 Likes

Which product did you use that led to the results you describe?

I’m curious what HiEnd power distribution units have you tried in your system?

M Performance, Akrapovic and, admit in my younger years - a couple of No name pretty crappy ones.
I guess same range in hifi but a rather longer list.
So I speak from experience … and in the context of a Naim system.

You are probably right, I doubt it will remove the little noises in the speaker. But I can try. Mains are complicated.

1 Like

I have a 1200 and was thinking of changing to a 707 but with some research online I found something from Audioquest that said the 1200 is better.

Apparently the circuits inside the 1200 are better but the power capacity inferior. Don’t know how it impacts on sound.

1 Like

Connected the 707 today, plugged the pre and amp inside: still the same little noise.
707 packed. I even didn’t bothered to listen.

2 Likes

The 707 and 1200 don’t do anything for DC offset. If that’s your problem a Puritan 156 should sort it.

2 Likes

Solid point. I have had issues with DC offset negatively impacting my Naim and Tube gear. I have elected to kill a fly with a sledghammer and for my Naim gear, I use a Furman Elite 20 PFi (designed by Garth Powell while at Furman; think of it as a ‘Niagara 2500’) that is fed by an enormous 5.2kVa Xentek 1:1 iso transformer (.001pf). This nuked DC offset from orbit and all my Naim transformers have been dead silent, even with ear pressed against the chassis, ever since. I found for my use case that the Naim transformers were being saturated by DC on the AC line and this greatly hampered SQ. I got big improvements, all around, with no negatives. But I also know folks that have heard zero or near-zero improvements from the same strategy.

The Puritan, the AVA HumDinger, the iFi DC widget, all will reduce or eliminate DC on the line for far less money, weight, space, and cost.

1 Like

I used to have a Shunyata Research Hydra 6 and later upgraded to a Hydra 8. My experience is that they sound different rather than better. The smaller model sounded quicker and had more clarity while the Hydra 8 sounded darker, quieter and more organic.

2 Likes

Add ISOL-8 to the list.

1 Like

Does this device generate any hum in itself?

1 Like

It’s a 108lb, laminate core transformer that I bought from a radio station. After tightening/torquing the case halves back to spec, the hum it generates on a bad day (i.e. lots of garbage on the line) is inaudible from more than 2 or 3 feet in a silent room. The moment HVAC turns on, or any music is played, it’s inaudible from anything but inches.

On a good day, which is most days where I live now, it’s silent even from 12" away as you crawl towards it.

Lam core transformers are much more resistant to audible humming/buzzing as a result of DC saturation than toroidals. It’s a bit of a lottery, but this xformer and the 2.5kVa Topaz Ultra (.0005pf) in my tube system are both appropriately quiet.

1 Like

What do you mean by DC offset?

I don’t have hum transformer problem, neither hum or hiss in the speakers. But little pop pops and stridency in one speaker, but heard only at around 3, 4 cm distance from my ear and the speaker. Maybe RFI EMI.
Not prepared to invest into a 3k Puritan device as I got recently a Furutech 608 for similar price.

1 Like

Could it be a problem with the crossover in that speaker? Maybe a faulty capacitor or something like that?

DC offset is me being lazy in describing it; I’m not biasing an amp. Lol.

DC Components on the AC line in trivial amounts are so common, that they are nearly assumed to exist. Half-wave rectifiers in power supplies, SMPS’s themselves, etc all dump DC onto thew home AC lines. Think of every single phone charger and modem power supply, smart speaker PS, Flat TV PS, LED smart bulb or strip, etc. They all do it.

Now, realize that every occupied home is doing it; dumping DC components on the AC line. Every apartment and condo. Many businesses as well. It’s just a thing we live with now. Which, in consideration of those facts, Naim transformer hum (and other brands, too.) seems to make much more sense.

The Little pops and cracks could be a number of things, though. Certainly possible with RFI. I have actually been experimenting with RFI mitigation at a very high level and have seen good results from some strategies. BUT, those sounds tend to indicate a failing capacitor (Maybe a small tantalum cap?) as opposed to RFI. RFI affects an entire device and is, in my experience, unable to select one channel over another.

If it doesn’t bother you, it’s probably fine.

1 Like

It’s not a failling capacitor, as I had the same phenomenon with a Nap NC 250 new, one month ago, and now with a new amp.
All DC ( SMPS) are away from my hifi, on a separate powerblock. It may be some nasty mains in my old building. Depending on the day, the noises are very tiny and sometimes more present.

1 Like

If I inverse the cables, it goes to the second speaker. So don’t think it’s a faulty crossover.

1 Like