Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt query

Recently swapped Spotify for Tidal and I’m impressed with the uplift in sound quality.
I’m not a big headphone user but occasionally listen via my Android phone (Motorola G62 5g) with a pair of Meze 99 Classics.
I thought I’d try a Dragonfly Cobalt dac and was impressed with improvement…more space around the instruments, clearer sound and a more believable soundstage generally.
Unfortunately though, after maybe 30 mins listening the sound cut out. No buffering or strange noises…Nothing.
After an hour or so the thing would start working. But again only for 30 mins or so.
I returned it to the supplier who refunded straight away. But they said they tested it and it worked fine for over 6 hours. My internet speed is pretty good…Tidal works great via my phone and my TV signal via the internet is fine, as is general browsing.
I don’t want to give up on the idea of a dac/amp.
Sorry for the long post…I just wondered if the hive had any ideas as to why the thing wasn’t working properly??
Thanks

I have both a Red and a Cobalt Dragonfly and I never had any such problem. They are bulletproof. Personally I like the Red better, but that probably says more about my ears than the Dragonflies.
I suggest buy another one and give it a try. If it happens again with another Dragonfky then I would suspect the phone.

Let us know how you get on!

1 Like

I did suspect the phone and I’m due an upgrade fairly soon. Just seems unusual that it would work for 30 mins or so and then stop.
I’ll likely wait and try another Dragonfly then.

Could be the OTG adapter.

1 Like

Try it in a PC or Mac.

1 Like

He already returned it and got a refund. Always worth reading the thread before posting.

I used the supplied Dragontail cable. The supplier (Hifi Excellence) presumably used it when they tested it.
I didn’t have an alternative to try.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have either of those to try it with.
I purchased it to use solely with my phone.

Another Dragonfly fan here…and I agree depending on the situation, prefer the Red…Blue is more refined and “modern”, Red more old skool and somewhat punkish…for my garage system it’s the Red…

1 Like