Audioquest Niagara

So, I’ve finally hit the sweet spot with the Niagara 3000. Glad I did some experimenting with the set-up as it’s made a huge difference in quality and I can’t believe the difference.

Set-up is as follows:

1. High current - NAP 250 DR
  2. High current - occasionally use for Amazon Firestick
  3. Low current - XPS DR powering NDX2
  4. Low current - Hicap - powering NAC 282
  5. Low current - Virgin Router
  6. Low current - NAPSC
  7. Low current - TV
3 Likes

Been doing the same with my AQ 1200 and settled on:

1. High Current - Norma IPA 70 amplifier
  2. High Current - Chord TT2
  3. Low Current - Blank
  4. Low Current - Project Stream Ultra
  5. Low Current - Blank
  6. Low Current - Blank
  7. Low Current - Chord Mscaler

All fed using AQ Blizzard.

I recently tried using a battery for the Mscaler but it made zero difference to the sound which makes me think the Niagara is doing a good job (NB I do use Wave cables so any RFI feedback should be minimised anyway).

2 Likes

Hi Opus,
The designer of the Niagra by Audioquest is Garth Powell ,I suggest you do a little research on this man as his background in power supply design is very long and extensive and easily 25 years plus.
Shunyata is good as is Synergistic research pick your poison and enjoy.

2 Likes

Hi Russ,
I know Garth, I’ve spoken with him at several audio shows. I know the folks at Shunyata very well, @anon4489532 will find this funny. Richard Rogers at Shunyata in his spare time is a big time Halibut Fisherman! Has his own fishing boat and fishes in the Pacific Northwest where Shunyata is located. And Synergistic Research, not a fan; let’s leave it at that.

2 Likes

Eating the relatives. Whatever next!

1 Like

After 3 months with my 1200 (US model) I have one problem/complaint. My cables with Furutech 28 plugs are far too difficult to insert, to the point of damage (deep scratches down to the copper). Naim Tibia’s and Audioquest NRG’s with fixed plugs are fine. I don’t quite understand this and find it unacceptable. My two best cables are sitting unused!

How about first unplugging the 1200 from the wall. Then take a large flat head screwdriver and open up the prongs inside a little bit. Or go to a home store and buy a plug and inset it a bunch of times that ought to open the prongs up.

1 Like

Has the 3000 also like the 5000 a Standby detection on slot #1?

Read the manual it explains how to ease the female receptacles grip and why they have such a tight grip. Buy a std brass pin electrical plug and use that as a podger to help relax the grip of the electrical outlet by inserting and removing a few times ,donot use nickle plated plugs.

Thank you for that insight, I use the older Niagra 1000 and found using audiophile grade fuses for all cables also improved the clarity overall for my Teac streamer and pre amp. I keep my Musical Fidelity power amp connected to its own direct socket as it did not benefit from the Niagra.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Opus & Russ. I confess to not reading the manual. Didn’t think I needed to with something like this - looks like I was wrong!

very useful that as have been saving to demo the 3000 and have very similar setup to yours but with DAVE DAC, innuous streamer

how would describe the difference when adding the 3000 and what cable did you run it with from the wall socket? also do you have a dedicated mains?

apologies for questions but trying to decide what to demo this or the innuos phoenix :slight_smile:

thankyou,

mat

Hi Mat,

I don’t have a dedicated mains. I use the Audioquest Thunder mains cable from the wall to Niagara 3000. I have just removed the Niagara 3000 and noticed a dramatic drop in overall clarity and soundstage. I’ve significantly downgraded my system to an NDX 2 and Supernait 3 and will change the Niagara 3000 for the 1200. Another bonus with the Niagara is the extra clarity I get with my LG OLED TV.

I would highly recommend the Niagara as a superb upgrade for Audio and video.

Good luck and apologies for the tardy reply :+1:

Regards,

Will

5 Likes

thanks will useful to know am in similar boat as dedicated mains just not option :frowning: for at least another 4/5years and was shocked at difference an airlink Balance PS made to quality of sound (best £<300 ever spent) so that was when i truly realised difference power can make

asked local dealer for a dem of the 3000 but not getting any units till mid/end of july…boo

did manage to pick up a preloved 40% priced AQ hurricane high current cable in anticipation which i have ran from BPS to my matrix 2 power block and that made a nice difference in further removing digital harshness and sound stage/clarity and i do rate what AQ can do

be interesting to see how you get on with the 1200 as i know that doesnt have the same power reservoir battery thing so i was fearful it may limit the power amps performance. be interesting to read your findings

thanks,

mat

Hi Mat,

After a good few hours of listening this morning without my Niagara 3000, I can confidently say that I believe the Niagara 3000 to be the most important upgrade I made to my system. I would also urge anyone looking to get the best out of their system to start with a Niagara or similar mains power correction before spending more money on other upgrades such as Power-Lines, HiLine or Super Lumina interconnects.

I would be very surprised if Naim themselves weren’t already looking at ways to produce a similar type of product to the Niagara.

I’m now going to have to reconsider parting with my Niagara 3000 as my system just doesn’t sound anywhere near as good without it.

7 Likes

I understand you have “downsized” from NDX2/282/HCDR/250DR to NDX2/SN3 and are now attempting the same feat with the Niagara 3000, and apparently the switch from 3000 to 1200 may have failed.

May I ask if the Niagara 3000 is a UK model with UK type outlets? It is good to know that the Niagara 3000 has proven to be an indispensable component in your system. Sometimes you will only be aware of the quality of the gear once you remove it from the system. The way of powering of equipment is surely one of the most important aspects of getting the most from the hifi especially when the circuit is not dedicated.

1 Like

FWIW I used to have the Wireworld Matrix 2 (UK) in my system. Once I found a way to plug critical components directly into the wall outlet, I then realised the WW Matrix 2 is a severe compromise to the system. Similarly, if anyone is still using the WW Matrix 2 or similar budget power strips, I would recommend to replace it with something like this Niagara (although I haven’t tried it myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

which network conditioner, which model (it can be found on the European market) have you installed to have these good results?

Assuming this is a generic question Francesco, in my case that is the Pink Faun LAN isolator.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.