Audirvana! - highs and lows

JimDog - I was just trying to help you with your problem. I know BubbleUPnP App on an Android tablet/device works.

You do not need a laptop to stream Qobuz in High-Res to a device (your 272) using BubbleUPnP.

Also you seem to be getting tied up with other irrelevant issues - the laptop, Audirvana and transcoding to wav that are not relevant.
It works for £3.69.

1 Like

Excellent. That’s very useful info.

Have you tried the MConnectHD app?

Because, as mentioned above, I’m already getting slightly better SQ from MConnectHD running on a brand new entry level iPad via Wifi than I am with Audirvana on this decade old laptop with only 4GB RAM.

So trying to assess whether it’s worth the hassle of getting a 2017(ish) MM as you have done?

Having a look at SH 2017(ish) Mac Minis - they can be quite expensive. And I’d also have to make sure it came with all the bits I need to operate it.

In the end, maybe I’d be better to just enjoy the MConnectHD app for now and save my pennies for the possibility of a 372 with much better SQ(!)

In the interest of scientific progress, I downloaded MConnect Lite (Android) but it won’t recognise my NAC 272. Do I need to shell out £5 for the full version of the app?

Thank you Easeback.
When I bought mine I downloaded the free MControlHD app, which is still there. and when I just clicked on it it asked me to connect my MConnect compatible device to my home network.

As I remember it, that only refers to servers that have hardware made by the maker of the app, Conversdigitial.

So yes, the only app I found that works of theirs is the £6 ish one called MConnectHD.

I was tipped off to it by French Rooster and also NestorBurma who used it with his 555dr and liked it a lot.

But only do it if you have an iPad and fancy giving it a try.

Many thanks
Jim

Who knows it may be even better than wired Recent MM!?

Currently listening to Oscar Peterson Reunion Blues via MConnectHD and it sounds crisp and lovely!

I should say that while ConnectHD has ‘HD’ in its name, and while it lists the higher sampling and bit rates for hires files as it plays them, when I emailed Conversdigital they told me that the app will just deliver the files to the 272 via upnp unprocessed.

So although it sounds very good to me, I don’t think it will actually play at higher resolutions - but in the end I’m not even sure of that because the screen on the 272 does not give data on the upnp files bit and sampling rates.

Aha, so maybe another point for Audirvana? :wink:
NAC272 screen info confirms it gives me the first unfold for Tidal MQA.

I might get around to fiddling with ConnectHD, but I’d be using the Android version anyhow. I’ve got three Mac computers but mobile devices are Android – so we still wouldn’t have a like-for-like comparison!

Ah, is that Screenshot using MConnectHD?
Then maybe I am not getting file data because I haven’t updated to latest FW?
Have you got the latest firmware?

Or is that your screen while playing Audirvana?

Maybe I should get a recent MM.
Then I can sell it If and when a 372 Appears and is better than a 272.

1 Like

Can you hear clear differences between hires and 16/44 files from Tidal?

E.g. say comparing the 16/44 and 24/96 versions of Vicar Street by the Tord Gustavsen Trio?

Or is there a track where the difference is obvious to you?

Is your MM attached via Ethernet cable to a switch or your router?

If I get one, should it come with a small plug in keyboard, screen and power lead?

Anything else?

If no screen, can I plug it into my screen with an HDMI cable? Or a Displayport cable? What video output sockets does a MM have?

Also - do you use the MM’s storage memory as your NAS now? Does that work ok?

Thanks
Jim

Jim, you could try Mac mini by Amazon and return it 3 days after if Audionirvana doesn’t sound better vs Mconnect.
If of course you feel comfortable with that try and return.
However it’s very easy on Amazon.

Good idea - but I would only buy a SH MM, not a new one.

1 Like

No, my screenshot shows Audirvana / Tidal.

My MM connects directly to a switch (ER). Both sit in a separate room from the Naim gear. After initial setup of the MM, it’s a simple case of heard and not seen. You can fully control a MM via screen sharing on your iPad (and also install the Audirvana remote app). Quite a neat solution IMO.

For initial setup, borrow your TV’s screen (MM connects via HDMI). MM’s come with their own power lead / adapter but no peripherals.

Yes, the MM works nicely as a NAS. I’ve installed only two apps (Audirvana & Plex) and followed the various tips to turn off all potentially noisy OS X processes.

Yes, I think so. The Eagles’ “Take it Easy” comes to mind. Slight harshness on the 16/44 version.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.