Audirvana Upgrade

@blackdogbarking, Do I understand correctly that you also do not have good metadata across your collection, and that you store your music in a conventional file structure (e.g genre\artist\album, or whatever)?

As you have the latest version of A+, would you mind trying something for me, maybe even posting screenshots? It has been suggested elsewhere that There is effectively a folder search facility in that you can use the Albums view and have File Location as your first sorting criterion. I canā€™t try this as my version (2.6.8) doesnā€™t have that option.

Iā€™d be interested to know if that view starts at the highest level and allows drilling down to where the albums are (e.g. if there are folders for each artist, each containing the individual albums as folders, can it show the artist level, then when one is selected show the albums in it?

And then having selected a folder containing albums, do the album folder names appear as you had named the album folder, or do they at that stage appear using the metadata album name (which might not be the same)?

Many thanks!

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it this morning and it could see one endpoint my AV amp but not my Atom. So itā€™s definitely buggy at discovery. Iā€™m leaving it for now

https://audirvana.com/support/

If you post your problem at the foot of the page here you should receive direct response from Audirvana. I had a recent problem which was responded to very quickly.

I was reading through the Audirvana support FAQs just a few minutes ago, I spotted this option then and thought it might be interesting to give it a try. I will do it later today and report.

Thanks!

Having learnt that the facility to sort by file location is in v3.5, I have installed it as a trial version.

Andļ»æļ»æ, indeed, settinļ»ægļ»æ local library albums first sort criterion to be Audio File Location works wonders. It is more cumbersome than full file structure browsing because it presents everything in a linear way, but at least the genres I assign through file structure are at least groļ»æuped now so I can to scroll through quickly to the one I want.

Also, it appears that I can now more readily see albums ļ»æthat are duplicated or split, ļ»æsitting side by side, which was not always the case before which facilitates checking their metadata to ļ»æfind out ļ»æwhy. Whether any albums are still missing or if this now shows them will take me a while to discover.

However, at present it only works in the program itself, nļ»æot from the remote app, and as I run my Mac Mini Headlesļ»æs, and ļ»æusing VLC to control is more of a hassle than the purpose-designed app remote. Hopefully the omission will be fixed before long.

I will now have to see ho I get on with it, but first impression certainly is that it is an improvement.

Anyone having a problem with A+ UPnP streaming? I stopped using it after coming across an issue where the sound from time to time collapses into some kind of a huge white noise, potentially causing damages to my HIFI devices. The A++ (latest version) runs on a Mac Mini streaming to a Linn Klimax. Btw, Roon works fine, no issue whatsoever.

nothing like that here using A+ 3.5 on headless Mac Mini UPNP > 272, pure guess itā€™s a network issue not A+ but I wouldnā€™t know

I did have UPnP streaming to ND5XS2 from Audirvana initially working but now the streamer doesnā€™t show up as an output source. I can specify the default output for all audio from the Mac Iā€™m using to be over Airplay however that maxes out at 16/44.1 whereas Chromecast or UPnP do not have that limitation. Gapless playback is also problematic. Iā€™m tending to now use iOS apps as controllers and use Chromecast, the Qobuz app works fine for example. I tend to agree thereā€™s no definitive guidance or any sort of logging you might enable in Audirvana to help troubleshoot. The latest non ā€œPlusā€ update is an attempt to modernise the UX but it seems to lump all the settings in to one place. Iā€™ve used it over the years almost exclusively with a USB DAC and for that sort of setup it works well however Iā€™m finding myself streaming mostly now or occasionally playing CDā€™s via coax through the ND5XS2. Would be curious if anyone figures out the UPnP issue.

I have never had issue of the A+ auto discovery of UPnP devices such as the Linn DS. However, the issue is with the playback. I sent an email to the A+ dev, and he said it is due to the fact that the Linn UPnP implementation is non-standard, but I am still not fully convinced since Roon does not have any problem.

One thing I havenā€™t tried but which might unearth more information is to capture some Ethernet traffic using Wireshark and make some comparisons between working methods like Qobuz Mac OS app and Audirvana and make a basic comparison. UPnP is like most other Internet Standards, a set of guidelines for usage and behaviours, no one is policing how they are individually implemented, same challenges apply with things like DLNA or MPD. In my case the curiosity is that it did work for a time and now seems not to at all.

Audirvana 3.5 UI is smashing, it is worth a try.

It is more modern looking for sure, I do miss the old black DAC interface a little though :slight_smile:

Yep wonā€™t work reliably for me. I was interested in testing it compared to Roon but its too flakey for me to be bothered. Sometimes it finds my Atom and AV amp then other times it wonā€™t. When it does it canā€™t play anything for longer than 30secs before stopping. I gave up.

Roon does not use UPnP though. Linn use OpenHome which is not plain UPnP . That said I have issues with my Atom and other UPnP renderers not showing up or stopping. Bubble UPnP from my phone works flawlessly with same material.

So Audirvana+ has reverted to Audirvana afte a 3.5+ upgrade?

I had to enter my licence code on a website to get the 3.5 upgrade (from 3.2 something).

Yes, the new design looks very nice - does it manage a workaround for gapless playback to the Uniti series?

I doubt itā€¦

Quite, it doesnā€™t.

Why have Naim crippled the new streamers where gapless is concerned?

To make you use Roon obviously :wink: as that works perfectly.

Lack of gapless play would be an instant game stopper for me. However in my four yearsā€™ of using v2, and now trialling v3.5, Audirvana has never had even a hint of difficulty playing gapless as a renderer, so it must be something to do with UPnP, whether at the Audirvana end or how it interacts with the player.