Auditioning new speakers - Vivid Audio Kaya 25

Yes, well done being assertive with yourself over the speaker options.
Look forward to hearing more when you get them home.

1 Like

That’s great. It’s particularly good that you can keep the demo pair, which makes the change much simpler for you. I did exactly the same thing when I bought my speakers, but getting my own pair took only a week rather than two months. The Vivids look really lovely and hopefully you’ll be able to choose the right colour for your room without too much difficulty.

1 Like

Thank you Nigel, your earlier remark carried more weight than you might think. :slightly_smiling_face:
Much appreciated.

Not often I feel envious, lovely write up , lovely speakers, lovely room

best wishes

1 Like

Thanks, I though that was the case from your comment. Sometimes it’s good to just go for it, especially when something works so well for you. Choosing speakers can be a horrible task that ends up with one being totally confused, which you’ve avoided. It’s worked out perfectly.

4 Likes

Yes, to land on the perfect speakers for your system and room at the first attempt is a blessing. No need to faff around looking any further.

Only problem is choosing a colour.

1 Like

Yes, it is a horrible task indeed. I was already busy arranging the demo pairs with different dealers as no one had my shopping list under one roof. Prepared myself to haul in 2 or 3 pairs of speakers, the positioning and lots and lots of ‘mandatory’ listening in a short time frame. Misery to be honest.

But it turned out to be super easy with a hole in one. Very happy. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Did you say in an earlier post that the speakers can be ordered to any RALcolour, if so, that’s incredible…if somewhat overkill.

When RAL was invented, it only consisted of 40 colours.

So rather than getting bogged down in speaker choices, you get bogged down in colour matching for your decor, sometimes you just can’t win.

Good luck!

It’s even ‘worse’ - all RAL colours and all automotive colours, both in matt or gloss. That’s a lot. :roll_eyes:

There are 4 standard colours. Bespoke colours are €1000,- extra. Vivid is a small manufacturer of 30/35-ish people and the speakers are made to order. I guess it doesn’t matter that much which colour they poor in the spray gun.

If you Google Vivid Audio on pictures it shows that many customers are not afraid to order the wildest colours. We are not that brave though. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am not familiar with the Vivid range, so listening to the designers of loudspeakers is always very interesting.

Nice talk though from Laurence Dickie on the S12 and I would have no problem living with their organic forms.

3 Likes

Thanks @JOF.
I’m a bit of a digger and I think I’ve read and watched everything there is around Vivid. There are several good interviews with Laurence Dickie on YT, also with John Atkinson from Stereophile.

I really like their appearance, a nice deep gloss red would show off their form but might stand out abit for some.

1 Like

As their shape is already eye catching I wouldn’t double down with colour and/or high gloss and go for something understated. Perhaps a matt, darkish gray?

1 Like

Matt grey looks very good and is one of the standard Vivid colours called ‘Oyster’. But also very safe and somewhat uninspiring.

Given the cool option of bespoke colours, we spend the last few days trying to find something a bit more special and personal. We decided on this colour from a Mini Cooper called ‘Hot Chocolate Metallic’ in matt.

I’ll be a very anxious when the wooden crate opens in about 2 months and see how it turns out on the speakers. But hey, what’s life without a little risk? Very excited!!

8 Likes

Very interesting video/explanation !
Thanks @JOF

I’d say it’s going to be down right awesome, so do be very excited!

1 Like

Thank you Mike! :sunglasses:

Richard

1 Like

@JOF Interesting, thanks for posting - enjoyed watching the video, and great to see the internal structure on the CAD designs too. Steven Guttenburg over on his Audiophiliac Youtube channel has reviewed the S12s and is worth a watch.

@RvL A very interesting colour - really looking forward to seeing how the curved form of these speakers pairs with the Mini Hot Chocolate metallic (pearlescent?), especially in a matt finish too. I’ve seen a few Minis around in that colour and I do like it as a less obvious left field choice. Have to admit, I do also like the standard oyster great as well.

1 Like

I wish more firms would offer the chance of bespoke colours

Me, now I like bright yellow

1 Like

Bright yellow huh?

This is Lamborghini yellow, in case you want to order… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@YetiZone - not sure if it’s pearlescent but it only says metallic so I guess not. Fingers crossed it will look close to my mind’s eye but I think it will.

2 Likes