Auditioning new speakers - Vivid Audio Kaya 25

Thanks Richieroo, where did you position your switch, close to the router or next to the streamer?

Next to my Roon NUC then I ran 5m Cinnamon cable to ND555… I was staggered at the difference in my system…bass in particular gained a whole new dimension in depth texture and power… The Aqvox replaced a cheap little Zyxel gigabit switch which had served me well…I thought bits were bits omg no… I cant say the above is a panacea for digital…it just worked really well in my system…I noticed that the Naim head office dem room used a very cost effective … I think it was a Dlink DGS108 or similar - I remember discussing it with them - I got the impression they felt it was optimal…

In my system, the EE8 was a nice and clear improvement. Together with the Farad PSU & cables it was a very good improvement. This subject has shown to be a can of worms with wi(l)dly varying opinions and beliefs. This is all posted and discussed at length in the EE8 topic(s) too btw.

I don’t know the BS (Bluesound Node?) but it doesn’t strike me as a good idea to spend 3 or 4 x the price of the streamer on a switch, PSU and cables?

I hope this topic doesn’t turn into yet another swich & e-cable discussion though… :roll_eyes: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @Richieroo, the bass was one of my doubts, is it powerfull?
The other one is: is the image in a middle size room (7mx7m) spectacular or limited?

Just received my last Stereophile digital magazine. There’s a review on the Kaya S12.
@Richieroo could be interested.

2 Likes

I do like that apple green colour.

2 Likes

If I had to buy Vivid, I would choose grey or white.

2 Likes

Me too. But especially for the smaller S12. The Kaya 25 stands 1.16 meter tall and then the apple green is a bit too much imo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When a speaker sounds so obviously right to you, especially after SF Guarneri Mementos, then they are right.

By all means audition others out of curiosity but you really don’t need to.

Enjoy your wonderful new music collection.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

The 12’s have got me interested. I’m looking to upgrade this year but I wonder if my electronics are up to the job - 272/250. How is the bass extension? My room is 12’x16’ so I guess they would be a good fit.

I think that is a great setup…I had this setup…the answer is yes the Vivids would be great with this system. However, I can almost certainly guarantee that you would get more pleasure from adding a 555dr ps…this is a phenominal upgrade…when I did this upgrade it made an epic upgrade… I would then consider possibly upgrading the 250 to dr spec…if your amp is the orginal pre model. The dr 250 has greater clarity and detail. I hope this helps…what speakers do you have??? Finally make sure you have full fat powerlines supplying your gear…This is just my view…based on practical experience… sorry just noticed you have Neats…they are pretty good speakers…I would definately do the 555ps … :slight_smile:
I found using the setup above takes you to a really good place…in order to substantively better it involves allot more expense and boxes … its a real performance sweet spot… I even used the 272/555ps with a Nap500 with excellent results… One last thing I found the 272 a little micophonic as it has a huge rigidly mounted circuit board - make sure it has a really good support rack.

1 Like

I thought you have the S12, but I see Pmc on your profile…?

They are very revealing but both the S12 and K25 are easy loads with relatively high impedance. My 200 does a great job driving the K25. Even at uncomfortable high volume levels it doesn’t seem to break a sweat while maintaining good grip & slam.

1 Like

Whoops changed my profile!

1 Like

Thanks Richieroo
250 is dr version and I really must try the 555ps. I will be looking to purchase a simrack to replace my DIY rack particularly if I go for an added PSU.
The vivids do sound as though they are exactly what I am after offering transparency, detail with great dynamics and timing. Would I get the same or more with the 555 I wonder. Not sure I can do both at the moment but maybe vivids with xpsdr?
Do the s12’s perform well without a sub?

Thanks RvL
They do sound pretty amazing from your description. How do they fair with less than perfect recordings? Are they ruthless or do things remain reasonably listenable?
Love your room set up btw

Yeah its a dilema…if it were me I would go source 1st you won’t regret it. Those Neats will sing… yeah the Vivids are very very good. Personally I hate the stands - but love the speakers. Fortunately they do not seem stand fussy…

1 Like

They are not ruthless. Very open, transparent and detailed and thus revealing, yes. But not ruthless at all. As in earlier posts, I struggle to describe their sound as they appear to have virtually no sound of their own.

It feels - ok sounds - like you’re just listening to your electronics and the acoustics of your room. Full stop. This might read a little weird but it’s really difficult to explain but very easy to hear.

@Richieroo used a very strong word in an earlier post, revelation. I have to second that because that’s exactly what they are for me as well.

3 Likes

Totally agree…when put like that

1 Like

They sound almost too good to be true. I must try and arrange to listen to them as well as the 555dr. Before then is the small matter of my combined retirement and long awaited honeymoon. I will start looking at auditions on my return.

1 Like