Auralic Aries G1 with Qutest, SN2 and HiCap

SJB,

Really, this is the lazy use of language that disguises the true technical intent and leads to misunderstanding, as the white paper clearly states:

Wireless connectivity allows the G1 circuitry to by pass the multi-phasic temporal convergence inherent in copper wiring. These anomolies can readily detected using the anyon magnetometer when the synaptic infusers are set in a perpendicular phase to the galactic horizon.

2 Likes

Wow :laughing:

:joy: Yeah… trying saying that as fast as you can ten times!

1 Like

It is too bad Naim does not have a streamer only, without an onboard DAC to compete with the Auralic streamers. There are so many choices out there, one guy on head-fi is using the Innous Statement with an Mscaler and Dave, a few other guys are using Antipodes to feed their Dac’s.

1 Like

Yes, if there had been an option from Naim, that offered a transport solution that provided a large range of digital outs so it was as flexible as possible for external DACs, screen and onboard controls and remote and I would have gone for that. Especially if it had the option for power upgrades etc.

1 Like

It seems like it works with most (all?) usb drives that have an external power source. Alternatively, you can use a Y splitter and connect to a powered usb hub and to the Aries at the same time… or… I’m taking a guess at this, a power bank. That would be more convenient and I’m using a high powered one for the DAC which would do both. So, ordered the splitter and I’ll give it a try!

An Innuos Statement costs twice as much as an NDX2. At that ptice, who cares if there’s a redundant DAC chip lurking in your digital transport. Just assess the various boxes on sound quality/price and buy the one you like best.

Well most people are going to add at least an XPSDR to the NDX2, and some the 555DR. That puts them around the same price. The few reviews I have read say the Innous statement is the best digital source the reviewer has heard. I have not heard one, just saying there are other options out there that (May) outperform the NDX2, or even the 555 for similar outlay. What I like is the no on-board DAC if you use it with a Chord Mscaler/TT2 or Dave. There are members of the head-fi forum that go to great lengths testing servers, battery power, linear power Supplies, isolation devices, ferrited cables etc to wring every last drop out of their Dac/system.

2 Likes

True… I’ve found a lot of what has been posted there quite useful. With my current setup, the next move will be the M Scaler. I have a feeling this will be updated the least and that there is a greater chance of the TT2 being updated first in a year of twos time. That being the case, I could pick up a used TT2 or the TT3 (or what ever) in a couple of years time.

I doubt I’ll ever sell the Qutest, it’s a great DAC, really small and when I do upgrade to the TT or Dave, it will be used elsewhere.

I’ve still got a few more days of the demo but I think (so far), that I’ll be keeping the Aries G1.

1 Like

I was so tempted by the Aries G1 (and then 2) as a digital hub, but the shortage of input options has stopped me dead. I love the fact that I have everything (expect the native TV sound, which only applies to watching Prime to be honest) coming through the Mscaler/DAVE combination. This has killed other front-end options too.

I tried the ND5 XS2 as a transport over one weekend, a) because it has native Qobuz b) it has one extra optical input so I could have the TV direct, but I could detect no difference I quality of sound between that and my NDX (and despite reports elsewhere here, this was something predicted by two senior Naim employees). However, if I can get a decent trade-in deal I may still go that route.

I only use my system for music… but, input options, wouldn’t you use the additional digital inputs on the DAC rather than the G1/G2?

If I had a TV in the office, I’d probably use optical for the TV and spend some extra on a good USB cable for music. If I had a CD transport, I’d probably use BNC or whatever other connections were available but they’d all go into the DAC rather than the Aries G1.

Someone else maybe able to advise better but for Auralic, I think the Vega acts as a hub (works similar to the ND5 XS2) digital transport, DAC plus connections for other sources. The Aries is just a digital transport source… the DAC that it connects to becomes the HUB which then feeds the output to an Integrated or Pre/Power amp.

The Mscaler (or DAVE for that matter) doesn’t have the inputs required and I’d lose the control I have through the Naim app to switch inputs.

Well…that’s an easy choice then… no way would I’d want to forgo either of those! What are you using at the moment to get Qobuz into your system?

BubbleUPnPServer installed on my Synology NAS, using Kazoo to control. Sounds really fine but ideally I’d like Qobuz under one roof so to speak!

1 Like

Yeah, it would be good. Would Roon make life any easier?!? If you add a bridge to the NDX that turns it into a Roon Endpoint, setup Roon so it uses your music library and of course, Qobuz. That would mean you can use Roon or the Naim app. With the ND5 XS2, if I was playing tracks from Roon etc, I could still control them in the Naim app if I wanted to… but, mainly used Roon.

I haven’t used BubbleUPnPServer so I’m not sure whether Roon would make life easier or not.

While my 500 amps were being serviced and DRd my dealer loaned me a Star (which performed commendably well) for two months and I tried Roon. To be honest it left me cold - I’ve taken great care on tagging my ripped and downloaded collection and Roon offered nothing (except a little confusion) there.

People use Roon also to expand their discoveries, but again I found Roon offered nothing to my own discoveries (which, if I’m honest, I’m already somewhat overwhelmed with!)

In balance, my best friend is a Roon nutcase and batters me relentlessly with its magnificence. I remain unconvinced, though he has also spent the better part of 50 years persuading me of Mahler’s brilliance and I’ve finally succumbed - -so never say never.

2 Likes

Everyone’s different with the way they listen to and browse music… it’s just a case of what works for each. I’m playing around with the AURALiC app at the moment. I like the way it manages Qobuz so giving it a fair crack of the whip. Nice interface. I’ve got Roon on a 12 month sub, I wanted to see how I got on with it. I like it but, if I can do 99% of everything I need in one app and it doesn’t cost extra then great.

I miss being able to browse by folder with Roon… which I have with the AURALiC app and Metadata seems complete so far so who knows!

The mscaler has 2 optical and 2 SPDIF and one USB.

Just wondering what your current setup is that has (and needs) more than 5 inputs?

.sjb

Two SPDIF, one optical (as previously stated, I’d like one more optical), an Ethernet, system integration with my pre-amp, and a wireless app that lets me control stuff, including switching to my analogue devices (e.g. NAT01).

Useful to know for anyone looking at their products.

For myself, Aries G1 stood out as all I wanted was to add a good “Transport only” to my Naim and Chord system.