Auralic Aries G1 with Qutest, SN2 and HiCap

The mscaler does have 2 optical inputs

but obviously not ethernet as then it would be a streamer and system integration is unlikely, if not unheard of, between brands.

.sjb

Sorry sjb, I want one further optical input over my current NDX. I should have been clearer.

1 Like

The Vegas have a fully functioning streamer which can stream from a local store with a upnp server as well as from Qobuz/Tidal etc. The G2 has a class A preamp with direct analogue input, as well as digital, of course. Think 272. I believe the G1 digitises analogue input but please don’t quote me on this.

The Aries adds things like WiFi, acting as a server, CD playing, onboard or attached storage, some limited DSP, ability to add upsampler, etc, etc.

Roger

1 Like

But other than the recently introduced CD playing, I rather question the value of inbuilt serving. Most NASs used for audio support Upnp servers such as Minimserver and Asset and you get more control over how metadata is used. And with onboard storage, particularly SSD, consensus seems to favour Ethernet streaming. Perhaps because I came from a 272 and the Vega does all that the 272 did and more, I don’t hanker for those extras (or use them on my Atom).

Roger

Exactly… if you want “digital outs”, the Vega is not an option. It has plenty of digital inputs so would be a good hub for multiple sources.

For me, the Aries is a great digital transport to get content to your favourite external DAC. Excellent build and sound quality with what seems to be a good app as well.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you will probably keep the G1 Toonartist. Can you confirm to me that the G1 will fit on/in a standard Fraim shelf or not?

1 Like

No the best picture but here is the G2 on fraim.

.sjb

3 Likes

I have the G1 with a Qutest. I use an Audience Audio, Front Row USB. I have an extra Wireworld Supernova 7 glass fiber Toslink I can try. Only issue is Toslink is only good up to 24/96… and no DSD, but I can give it a shot. Also use Shunyata power block and Shunyata power cords. Highly recommended

I’m getting 24/192 with the a cheap optical (£10) and the QED Performance optical cable. Not sure what’s happening with those more expensive cables there?!? I’ve read on Head-Fi that some cables don’t like playing ball but I wouldn’t have thought those ones would cause problems. Both the G1 & Qutest are 24/192 compatible.

I’m gonna give it a try. :+1:

1 Like

Of course, it doesn’t help if you have DSD greater than DSD64. I think that is the limit of optical for DSD.

@anon23154165 Well I’m currently without an amp, when it comes I’ll give it a try $250.00 Glass Fibre vs five times expensive USB…

1 Like

Be interested to hear how that goes… if you have a cheap bog standard optical as well! See how much difference there is between optical cables!

No cheap plastic fiber ones, just the Wireworld.

Shame… funnily enough, I was looking at Audioquest Vodka & Wireworld Supernova 7… I’m using a QED Performance cable at the moment trying to get a feel as to what the sound difference might be. Sadly, Tellurium Q don’t do optical as they’re normally my goto cable suppliers.

I have compared AudioQuest Diamond to the Wireworld SN 7 and thought it just as good for much less $$ and I have compared less expensive Plastic Fibre to Glass Fibre and it’s really not close.

1 Like

@anon23154165. The AQ Vodka is plastic fiber. I think the Wireworld is the best bang for the buck

1 Like

Well… I’ve decided I’m going to keep the Aries G1 and I’ve now placed the ND5 XS2 up for sale… It’s been a great player but for the direction I’m going in, a Transport only solution is best.

I’ll be sorting out a better optical cable over the next week

1 Like

I hope that direction is an Mscaler, which should be a nice improvement to the Qutest.

1 Like

Yeah… that’s the idea. Not quite yet but probably later this year.