AV upgrade (from Linn) - Anthem AV + Kudos?

Music system is Naim active in a dedicated room, that doesn’t usually have a tv. For coronation, Wimbledon and lately the Proms, it is clear, via an Apple tv box to smallish LG tv and then toslink to my Naim streamer, the sound from the source is excellent.
For AV in my study, I have a Linn (long story*) based 5.1 system with a larger LG tv. The system is some years old, and fairly basic, so I could improve the sound and connectivity. REL9 sub stays as does Oppo 205 4k + Apple tv 4k, + a Sky HD box, (with sound via toslink not HDMI).
Under consideration, Anthem processor AVM 70 / 90, using a Naim NAP for front pair of speakers+ Anthem MCA 325 GEN 2 which is a 3 channel amp for centre and rears. I have no desire to install anything more than 5.1 - current wiring is already totally hidden. The rear speakers will be again wall mounted, no option.
Speakers potentially Kudos front, rear and I believe they will do a single channel speaker to special order, so choice of front speakers might be 20A, 505 or 606s + NAP250DR or a NAP300DR.

Anyone able to suggest options for alternatives for the processor and the choice of speakers?
I have listened a while ago to PMC, my preference then was ProAc. Recent comments elsewhere on the forum suggest Kudos usually surpasses ProAc. Budget is a VFM issue rather than specific; ex-dem or used would be a poss.
I could retain the rear Linn speakers, on wall brackets from the current set up which is my current Linn AV system, all ex demo or s/h and was updated from an earlier system I used when living abroad for a time.

So currently * Linn Akurate 5.1 processor + 5125 x 2 into activ Linn Ninkas (front) and active Linn Trikan with passive Linn Katan rears (+ REL sub).

Appreciate any thoughts - apart from the stereo v surround sound issue or debate.

1 Like

I would suggest that all you need are perhaps the extra loudspeakers (if your current ones are not “doing it” for you) and a half-way decent AVR (AV Receiver). I use an Arcam AVR850, with the front L/R channels running from the appropriate preamp outputs in to AV input on my Naim 552, and then into my NAP 300DR. This system has served me well for several years. The only downside is that with the purchase of a newer LG TV, I may eventually need to replace the AVR850.

Thanks for your thoughts. I tempted fate considering some changes. Two of my three Linn boxes have suffered from power failure, so upgrade is now serious.
I have Arcam AV41 on demo for a month from my excellent dealer hifi lounge.
Kudos 606s have been collected they are recent used and in nice condition, now powered by a new NAP250DR bought at a v v attractive price. I have done a crude setup w/o a mike - all sounds good and much improved, with Linn driving existing centre and rears.
I’m not so sure about the Arcam - took a lot to get it responding and it occasionally freezes the tv picture, when the source is paused. Will see how it goes. The other option is an Anthem processor or all in one processor amp, with fronts as now is. More research required!

The only reason I wonder about changing the Arcam 850 is to perhaps get something which might better integrate with my PS5 etc and new LG TV. The 850 does occasionally lose sound, but it’s always fixed by changing the input on the Arcam and then back again - bloody annoying when it does that when some crucial dialogue is going on!

Arcam have apparently addressed their quality issues, although different dealers have different views on that score. It does make me a little wary after there were so many issues.
My own dealer has an Arcam set up for av - interestingly despite definitely liking Naim kit and being a dealer, he has never had Naim at home; just one of those things, I guess.

I have used my Arcam for audio when unable to use my Naim stuff (DR upgrades etc). It actually sounds very good streaming from my NAS. I sometimes debate whether I need the multibox setup at all.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.