AV Upgrade journey

Finally started upgrades of my AV system with swap out of 25 year old front B&W CDM1 speakers for B&W 805D3.

Also replaced the Pioneer SC-LX85 (2011 vintage) AV receiver for the infinitely better Arcam AV850, which with the DIRAC room correction has significantly improved the sound quality of films and music - explosions, gunshots and breaking glass now have much better sound impact and ‘decay’ and it’s an overall more cinematic immersive experience.

Future upgrade plans include upgrading the centre B&W CDM CSE for a B&W HTM2D3, the REL sub for a B&W DB3D and also looking at a replacement for the rear B&W CDM1 speakers (on Kudos S100 stands).

And yes, before folks point out that the centre speaker isn’t in the centre, I do know that, however given restrictions on the room layout, this is the format we’re working with now. It does work well though, and at no stage have we noticed that the sound placement isn’t real and doesn’t work (it shouldn’t work but it does!) - in fact we’ve been back to watch many of our favourites over again (e.g. pod race in Phantom Menace, Car chase in the Matrix 2 (4K), Pacific Rim (4K), 2001 - a Space Odyssey (4K), take-off sequence in Apollo 13 (4K)) - watching up to 2 films a night!

TV remains the same (LG OLED55E6V) as it’s the last of the 3D compatible TVs - 2016 vintage - we have quite a few 3D BluRays.

The Humax FreeView and Apple TV STBs are also staying (for now). The Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control does a great job of tying it all together - to muddle the words from ‘Lord of the Rings’ - “One remote to rule them all”!

Looking forward to this journey!

ATB. George.

2 Likes

I love my Arcam AVR360 old now and was their entry level at the time but serves me well. Will possibly update at some point to a newer one with Dirac as their old own system is not the best I terms of Room correction.

1 Like

If not already aware @CrystalGipsy, now’s a good time to buy a new Arcam AV receiver, as if you trade in any existing home theatre receiver or processor, there’s £500.00 against the purchase of an AVR390, £700.00 against an AVR550 and £1,000.00 against an AVR850. Offer started 1st June and I understand is a limited time offer.

ATB. George.

Unfortunately I dont have the funds right now. Spent too much updating the hifi . But thanks for the tip.

1 Like

I remember hankering after a pair of those B&W CDM1s - about 25 years ago but they were well out of my financial reach back then! Had a shop demo with my then Cyrus 2/PSX combo but that was as far as it got.

2 Likes

Yes @RackKit - they were a reach for me back in 1994 - £600 per pair if I remember correctly! Back then, was connected to an Audiolab 8000S integrated amp driven by a Marantz CD63KI Signature and a Nakamichi BX125 tape deck! They’ve seen a lot of change in the 25 years (including a change of house!) and were the great great grandparents of the modern 805 speaker series - also not cheap!!

Somehow, I’ve always liked the B&W sound and seem to have owned different models from them over the years - my music system is fitted with 803D3 speakers.

ATB. George.

1 Like

Just made me realise this was half my lifetime ago. :anguished:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.