Ayrton Senna 1960 - 1994

Thirty years ago today Sunday May 1st 1994 at the San Marino Grand Prix the world lost the greatest Formula 1 driver.

Ayrton Senna 1960 - 1994

“I race designed to win”

“There is no compromise.”

“You give everything you have.”

“Everything.”

“Absolutely everything.”

R.I.P Ayrton

6 Likes

Thanks for reminding us. Senna is my all time favorite. I have this painting of him in my home.

1 Like

Groundhog day. It must be May again.

2 Likes

…and I see there is a new Netflix biopic series coming out soon. Trailer just appeared. Their ‘Drive to Survive’ F1 series has been a big success so I suppose this taps into that audience. The Asif Kapadia is enough for me, but then I am no great F1 fan.

Bruce

1 Like

A terrible weekend, first Roland Ratzenberger and then Ayrton Senna. And before this on Friday, Barrichello had a really serious accident that could have proved fatal. The only good thing to come out of this tragic weekend is that safety became more prominent and the work started by J Stewart and Sid Watkins became a priority.

2 Likes

More threads on Senna than Vtuner going down.

Great driver but we don’t need annual reminders .

2 Likes

So there are a few threads about Senna. It does not beat all the ethernet switch and gizmo threads :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe Senna is one of the OP’s relatives. Each year we get mum and dad, so why not Cousin Ayrton?

This thread led me to a fascinating website, so we can have a new thread every day.

3 Likes

You have the point :+1:

1 Like

Or the number of my posts on oil rig turntables :joy:

You made me laugh

1 Like

BBC Top Gear Ayrton Senna Tribute -

“I think Senna I will put him in number one” Fernando Alonso

“For me Senna is number one” Felipe Massa

“For me he was number one” Rubens Barrrichello

“I will put Ayrton Senna as number one” Jarno Trulli

“For me Ayrton Senna undoubtedly was the number one” David Coulthard

“I will put him number one you know he was definitely the greatest driver” Mika Hakkinen

“If you ask me I put Senna as well in number one” Michael Schumacher

“He had a God given talent that I haven’t witnessed anywhere else. A sixth sense of where the grip was before he turned into a corner” Martin Brundle

“You know I’ll be honest with you. I was never a Senna fan. I always thought Gilles Villeneuve was the greatest racing driver of them all. But to make this film I’ve watched hours and hours and hours of footage and the thing is Villeneuve was spectacular on a number of occasions, Senna was spectacular every single time he got in a car” Jeremy Clarkson

1 Like

Senna’s awesome pole lap at Adelaide, Australia in 1991

1 Like

John Surtees is the only person to have won world championships on both two and four wheels. :+1:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Surtees

1 Like

Saudade Part 1 & 2 - Tribute To Ayrton Senna (Chris Rea)

R.I.P Ayrton

1 Like

Senna’s driving hero was Jim Clark.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Clark seems largely forgotten by all F1 fans just a few years younger than us.

My first live race was the 1965 British, GP at Brands Hatch, which he won.

In an old biography of him, I recall the quote by someone famous at the time, whose name escapes me, along the lines “put him in any class of racing car &, baring break downs, he wins”.

If any subsequent stars drove in several different classes, I wonder how many would win with little or no previous experience of the car they were in?

3 Likes

My Grandparents were Scottish and when we went up to stay when I was a kid we would go to Edinburgh airport to watch the planes as a treat. I think back then there was one land or take off every hour or two. I think it was in the Easter Holidays.
We happened to be there when Jim Clark’s coffin was returned to Scotland and taken off a plane. They were all Vanguards and Viscounts back then. I can remember people being upset.

2 Likes

The day Jim died was the day of my godson’s christening.

The news came through on the radio just before the service. My aunt was a big F1 fan & an even bigger Clark fan. She spent most of the afternoon in tears & later said that she could recall little of the ceremony.

Sir Jackie Stewart was the first real ‘media’ star but, if Jim was born 5 years later, he would have provided Jackie with stiff competition, despite his modest & shy persona. His passing would have been remembered in a very similar way to Senna’s.

1 Like