B&W 805 D3 & Naim Amplification

buy them, you will not regret it.

1 Like

I have an nDAC without a power supply.

I have a system that consists of NDX3/XPSDR, Supernait 3, and B & W 805 D3. It sounds gorgeous and really comes alive with a bit of volume.

1 Like

Oops….NDX2. Poor proof reading!

1 Like

A power supply transforms the nDAC.

Yes, after I get a hold of a pair of 805 d3, then I will work on finding an XPS next.

Yes much better speakers than the CM6 s2. I had a pair for 3 years.

Haven’t headed them but when I was planning to upgrade my Speakers, my retailer told me that 805D3 are a perfect match with the Nova (for the price range).

I’ve always liked B&W - in my late teens I inherited my Uncle’s DM110’s when he passed away too young from cancer. Rotel and technics through them.

Fast forward ten years or so and our Naim journey started with CDX2, 202 (inc NAPSC), 200 driving B&W N805S.

I was always impressed with their low end for a “bookshelf” speaker and over time we added a XPS2, QUTE & then HICAPDR. 200 did a grand job of driving them.

Last year upgraded to current 282, 250DR & B&W 804 D3 (DR’d the XPS2 too) and no worries driving the bigger cabinets there…swapped about during home demo and those 805’s sounded sweeeeet!
As others have commented they come alive at volume!!
Main improvement I noticed upping the electronics was low volume performance, but can’t beat an empty house so can wind it up to 10 o’clock or so and let rip…

If you can, home demo and I’ll bet they end up staying…

Naim and B&W seems to work well, although I know others like to bash them, esp the price, but let your ears be the judge - we can’t all be wrong…lol

2 Likes

I agree - my 805 DR’s just ‘switch on’ about the 8.30- 9 mark and truly burst into life.

I am intrigued to hear how the 300DR wakens them earlier vs the 250DR, if indeed it does. I think (without hearing thus far) that the dual mono (think I’ve got that right) of the 300 must have some impact in this regard.

I can’t agree with you more about naim driving b&w’s. A few years ago when I had the nova driving the cm 6 s2’s, It drove the hell outta them. Then when I demo them with the 282, hicap, 250, more of the same they sounded even better and handled the action like a true champ. The fact that you can drive them hard is one of the biggest plus. So. the fact that the 805 d3s need to be played at higher volumes to sound there best is a big attraction.

Same with mine - around 8.30 things seem to open up, and I am still using a 200DR. When I can I am inclined to skip the 250 and go straight for the 300DR - thats going to have to wait for a year of 2 though!

The whole (Naim + B&W)-bashing that crops up on threads like this always slightly mystifies me. I appreciate that there is data that might, on paper, point to it not being a great match, but the big grin that coats my face so often when I’m listening to my system in full flow suggests to me there’s more to it than just the numbers.

Thankfully, the world’s big enough to accommodate multiple opinions and experiences. It’s just regrettable that opinions and experiences sometimes get dressed up as undisputable facts.

Mark

5 Likes

Agree, I’m also really happy with the pairing. And I did audition multiple speakers from several brands.

I do notice that many people here seem to favour boutique brands over the big manufacturers. Kef hardly even gets mentioned for example. Everybody likes rooting for the underdog?

I guess Dynaudio is perhaps an exception as they seem to be loved here. (But I found the very uninspiring)

1 Like

:+1:t4:

I tried 805 D3s

Thought they we’re a little bit lacking to be honest… then Demoed 804 D3s and found them to be spot on! Agreed a little bit bright to be honest but only at 10oclock volumes and above…:

My mates got neat motives and the bass is unbelievable! As you’d expect from isobarics… far deeper than mine but his mid range is lacking!!! I love the b&w sound and won’t change them!

1 Like

The Neat Motive is not isobaric, just standard reflex.

What’s the difference?

Out of interest??

I have 805D3’s and think they are great, but then I already had an REL sub woofer when I bought them. Great without the REL, brilliant with the REL!

How do you connect it up?

Into the ndx2 ? Or into the 252 ?

And what model have you got ?