B&W 805 D3 & Naim Amplification

In an isobaric design, one bass unit is mounted behind the other internally. Take a look at Neat’s website and compare the Motive and Ultimatum ranges. The new Ekstra and Ministra use isobaric loading as well.

1 Like

You’d run it from the Supercap at line level, or from the speakers at speaker level.

Line level?

Which din socket?

Its a Strata 3, quite an old model and its a big lump - cable from Hi Input socket on the REL to both speaker sockets. No connection needed into the pre amp. I have the REL on minimum setting but it really gives great performance in the bass range.

Any of the Supercap’s 4 pin Din outputs.

In cherry I hope!

Nah, black I’m afraid, but beggars can’t be choosers. Mate of mine brought it around for me to try on the sonus faber minima amators I had and it was quite an improvement. He said I could have it as he had no use for it, and didnt want a penny!

Sold my Strata 3 for very little about 3 years ago on gumtree. Geeza came over 100 miles for it. Was all over me like a rash. Asking about how to set it up, get the best out of it etc. Went away happy. Then I saw it on ebay a week later going for double what he paid me. :rage:
But I wanted it gone. It was too big and with a better set of speakers and power amp, didn’t need it. A good sub though.

My next move is to upgrade the power amp, tempted to miss out the 250 and go straight for the 300. Possibly may be able to offload the REL then!

I can recommend the 300…

Best thing about it in my opinion is it sounds great at low volume…

I have heard the same from others, Might be a while before I can get a 300DR but worth the wait I think. Will most likely go for ex demo/used which is how I have bought most of my gear. Naim stuff is so reliable.

1 Like

I’ve bought all my stuff second hand…
Naim seems to be pretty much bullet proof!
My 252 is 2005 never serviced and sounds great still… I did swap the SC that came with it for a DR (didn’t make that much difference to be totally honest)

The 300drs are regular up for sale second hand… well worth the wait in my opinion!

How much difference out of interest did the xps make to your ndx?

Just curious, what Rel sub do you have ?

I already had the XPSDR which was being used on an HDX. It did make quite a difference to the HDX but I have not actually tried the NDX2 solo. Although the HDX was good and a clear improvement on my old CD5, the NDX2 is in a different league.

I have a strata 3, which I think dates from around 2003-2005

Same here all mine is used and ex demo and in superb condition I always inspect very closely. To be honest its the only way I could upgrade to 252 supercap dr and 300 dr really pleased.

1 Like

The only new item was my NDX2, but as far as amplification and power supplies ex demo/used is the way to go. I am already very pleased with my set up, but feel the 200DR good though it is, probably holds things back a bit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.