Back to Lavender

This might be a challenge, the units are side by side on a cabinet. The cable would either be on the shelf, or I could run it through holes at the back do that it hangs like the burdy, but it will still touch the side of the holes. I wonder how critical that all is?

How critical is critical? If you use it like that you won’t get anything like its full potential out of it.

Cut a slot in the cabinet shelf, if the shelf is high enough above the one below to let it hang free (which it’s probably not).

Or cut slots in the back wall of the cabinet and move the boxes back so the cable hangs free between them and off the floor.

Or get a hifi rack!

1 Like

You could try large bubble wrap bags to stop cable to cable interaction…better than touching

1 Like

I did it!

1 Like

Just gone back to lavender interconnect after din plug was twisted off my ‘upgrade’ cable when the furniture was being moved - I think the original lavender cable now sounds the same as the cable that I once thought was ‘better’ - so I’m another lavender keeper.

1 Like

Picked one up on the bay for a song to experiment. Let’s see if it plays one.

G

I’m very much enjoying this interconnect. All of the virtues of the HiLine and none of the vices. Scale and openness, drive and coherence without the frequency imbalance (to my ears) of the HiLine.

I also use TQB speaker cable.

A couple of hundred quid well spent.

G

1 Like

Can u describe some of the improvements over lavender or hiline using the Sarum T analogue.
Also is it stiff or flexible? The way my 2 Fraim stacks are set up my 52 and cds2 are side by side on top shelf. There are 32 inches between the sockets. Some some concern whether 1 meter (39 inches) would be long enough. Big add on price to get 1.5 meter length.
David

davidf

I’ll try to convey my take on the cables. When I switched from lavender to hiline (din-din), I had a cds3 and 552, with the 552 sat on the same fraim stack two shelves down.

I have often questioned the build quality/ robustness of the hiline connectors and I wonder if this could lead to the variable reaction folks have to it ie different hiline cables may sound better than others. In my case, the mid to upper musical register just opened up tremendously and I was able to hear notes, sounds, textures through the hiline I had not previously been aware of. I don’t have a clear recollection of impact on bass and perhaps there may have been a compromise on overall balance across the musical spectrum. I simply didn’t notice this at the time and was hugely impressed with the improved clarity.
I later changed the hiline for a sarum t cable and I’m not sure if by that time I had already swapped out the cds3 for a cd555. There is now an additional shelf between cd player and 552 following the introduction of a soon to be departed nds.
Initially I was probably expecting yet another boost in clarity, more fine high notes and textures etc similar to the impact of the hiline. This was not close to my initial impression. If anything it may even have sounded a little flatter. There is a big BUT however. With further listening it seems to me that the sarum t conveys all of the detail portrayed by the hiline with an additional balance/ coherence which just makes it all sound significantly more natural. I’m rubbish at explaining but it just sounds right to me and perhaps this quality may fill in the gaps others have experienced with the hiline when they moved back to lavender. We do all seem to hear things differently and, as always, with cables I’d strongly recommend borrowing a set of demo cables from your dealer over a weekend to hear for yourself if at all possible.
I had a similar experience with in ear headphones where the shure se846 had a slightly bright sparkly sound but I found that a pair of audiofly af180, whilst not nearly as detailed, have a wonderful balance and coherence to them which I much prefer. But that’s yet another subject… Good luck with your search.

Peter

The experience of upgrading from Lavender or Hi-line to Sarum T interconnect cables is similar albeit different to what one can achieve with Super Lumia, in that the musical presentation becomes far more believable in terms of realism, more naturally organic, a fundamentally more enjoyable sound, bit of a jaw dropping moment at first listen. However, i don’t know if this beneficial effect would transpire with olive components (?) In a sympathetic way i would hope not, in that i like to think the olive era boxes can be content with a balance of standard issue free in the box cables, and would be nice to think the fabulous value for money Olives can be exonerated from the faff and expense of fancy cable upgrades… and besides, a full I/C loom of either SL or Sarum T would cost enough to fund an upgrade from 52 to 552 instead :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks to both above comments
I have no intention of upgrading speaker cables, snaics, etc
I already have Powerlines on all boxes
I’m hoping that moving to sarum t din:din between cds2 and 52 will be worthwhile. Hope to be able to find out soon.
David

Do you have a friendly dealer who can lend you a cable for home demo?
You may need to rearrange your boxes to gain the reach, but just using a Sarum i/c cable on CDS2 to 52 may just pay dividends.

Bit of a leap of faith but if you don’t have a dealer who can lend you a cable another plan is to buy a pre-owned Sarum T cable, or even an earlier white coloured Sarum Super Aray which is also a brilliant interconnect cable, they come up occasionally on auction sites, i’ve seen them sell for as little as £500+

Whist there is considerable floppiness with Super Lumina, the Sarum has a pliable stiffness which tends to allow for very easy cable dressage :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Well I placed an order for Chord Sarum T din:din interconnect to connect my cds2 to 52. Never thought I would spend so much on a 1.5 meter cable. Got a good deal including trade in on my hiline.
Made this decision on some advice from a few Naim forum members that I trust. I’m still working long hours at my advanced age and felt like treating myself to a gift. My wife took it in stride…
Now have to wait…
Will report back. Have been advised 100 hrs break in period.
David

If you’re going to upgrade just one i/c cable, that is the one to choose.

My Sarum T delivered the musical goodness from brand new straight out of the box.
Although they’re claimed to need some burning in, i never noticed any issue at all, enjoyment from the get-go :grinning:

David i wish you all the best with the CDS2 - 52. Hope it works magnificently.
One day i’ll try my Sarum T cables with my CDS3 to 72, hicap and 135s… :thinking:

1 Like

David, where did you get this figure from - 100 hours? Juste received some Chord cables…so, I’m interested in the break in period.
Regards,

Have you tried the Super Lumina? I’ve just changed from the HiLine, wow massive improvement again! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Another forum member who has the chord music interconnect

Thanks!
My new Chord interconnect, din-xlrs and speaker cables are breaking in - they don’t sound exactly as good as the demo-chords I had on loan before, but they are not that fare away…but then I don´t know how many hours the demo-cables had.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.