”Backup” CD-player advice

It certainly looks very promising.

However, bear in mind that £250 on a secondhand Meridian transport may be all that’s needed here…

1 Like

Any specific model You Will recommend?

I’ve had great results with a meridian 200. Others have had great results with the 500. One nice thing with these,apart from the wonderful performance, is that they use the same RC5 remote commands as Naim, so your Narcom, R-Com or Flash will control them.

2 Likes

Notice the puck !!!

Apparently that is one CD transport that would fit very nicely into many a Naim system

1 Like

I don’t know what the design of the clamp is on this one, but a degree of caution may well be appropriate here as in most cases I have found that where other makers use clamps and “pucks” on their CD players they do so in a rather different way to Naim; Naim believe that the clamp should add minimal mass and just enough damping to the disc. Mass is not good when it comes to CD mechs because of the needs of very rapid acceleration and deceleration. Unfortunately most clamps would seem to apply too much mass.

That said, I don’t know what the clamp design is here from Project.

2 Likes

I’m grateful for all the answers I get from you in here. There is so much new knowledge you get and I am really grateful for that! :slightly_smiling_face:

This may be rather naive, but keeping in mind the other thread (Sustaining Naim CDPs - An Appeal), would a Uniti Core do the trick? I know it doesn’t actually “play” CDs, but would sound quality be acceptable?
I do realise it would be far more expensive than a second hand Meridian.

1 Like

But the Uniti Core box requires a working network, right? How else should you see what you are playing, when everything is controlled from an iPad?

1 Like

A network without an internet connection will still work, i.e. having an internet connection is not a requirement for a working network.

When the internet connection goes down that’s all you lose, everything your side of the router should continue to function so an iPad can still access your UPNP server and start music playing on your streamer.

Of course you won’t be able to access Tidal, QoBuz, internet radio etc as this is dependent on the internet.

2 Likes

Thanks, so I will still access the Uniti Core Box then with My iPad?

Yes

1 Like

When my router is down, I have no Wifi so can’t use the app.

If your router is not working completely, i.e. switched off you won’t have Wifi but if your router is working but the internet connection isn’t working you will still be connected to your router via wifi.

Whilst you won’t have internet access on your device you will still have connectivity between all your devices including your NDS and any UPNP server.

1 Like

I did exactly this–bought a pre loved Meridian 596 cd/dvd player. It sounds very nice.

1 Like

So I think the question needs to be, what’s the best cd transport to feed into our naim dacs? Richard may have answered that. But what other good transports are out there?

1 Like

The Audiolab and Cambridge Audio units are well received for the price point.

The new Roksan Attessa unit has a few reviews, seems positive.

As mentioned, Cyrus are very reputable transports.

2 Likes

Probably digressing on the main topic, but I am curious to find out more about this.

I have been recently experiencing some unstable internet connection where the connection sort of breaks and resumes within 1-2 minutes, and happens maybe a handful of time the past week.

My Uniti Atom is connected wirelessly. And when connectivity breaks, I can’t play music (after the buffered track), the Naim app can’t find the “room” and I can’t browse the music on my NAS. I was under the impression that everything on my side of the router should still work - sort of like a local network without internet access, but that wasn’t the case. It felt a lot more like I the wireless connectivity between the various hardware (Atom, app on iPhone, NAS) was also gone.

Would this situation be resolved if I used a cabled connection from my router to the Atom unit?

Don’t think so. Don’t forget the box you access your Internet from does a number of things. Modem, router. WiFi access point etc.
When my box, let’s call it the router looses connection to the Internet, it is near useless to me.
I can’t connect my naim app because it thinks no Internet = no use. Thus I can’t access my NAS. This could be a function of how my router is configured by by ISP. Dunno, but annoying.

Well, in my case, it’s something like this : optical fibre into home > modem provided by ISP > Linksys router. NAS connected to Linksys router by cable, desktop PC (home) connected to the router also by cable, MacBook and all other devices connected wirelessly.

It’s a bit frustrating because last week, there were 2 typhoons where I live, and I suspect it was a problem on the ISP side, but given that I lost connection only for 1-2 minutes at a time, it’s really hard to pin down where the problem lies. By the time I got through on the ISP customer hotline, the connectivity resumed.

Why not a Rega Saturn R or Apollo R?

3 Likes