”Backup” CD-player advice

In my case i have only 2 situations: my router is functioning and I have internet, tv, and wifi and phone. But if it’s off, I have nothing. I live in France, the router is a commercial box giving access to tv, phone, internet and wifi. I can’t have no internet but WIFI.

Surpriced me really.
Not my experience with Cyrus and reading around many others too.

That’s very strange and not how networks normally work.

1 Like

As not your primary source, you may not want it taking up too much room, while still being of decent SQ and value, so perhaps consider a Rega Apollo R or an Exposure player?

1 Like

It’s a pure science! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Generally when something is down with my router then all is down. Maybe once or twice I had no tv and phone but still WiFi, however it’s absolutely not the general situation.

Which is why I still don’t have a “box”…

Yes, I understood that. It’s not normal

Would a CD transporter works with the ND555?

Yes, all of the Network players are also DACs that can take a variety of s/pdif inputs.

So what do you have instead? How can you have tv, phone, internet without a box?

@SamClaus may explain. He lives in France too.

So what connecting cable from Naim do I need and into which socket on the ND555?

As someone who uses an Oppo 205, I have to disagree there Richard. The Oppo is a fantastic CD and SACD player. The CD section is even better going through a Chord Qutest. And it’s a superb 4K/Blu-ray/DVD player as well.

1 Like

I have an old style ADSL connection, and an Apple Airport. Quite sufficient for my needs.

1 Like

I doubt that IP networking works differently in France. The router is called router because it knows how to route network packets between networks. The local network and wifi have nothing to do with whether packets can currently be routed into the internet. If you have no local network when the internet connection is down, something is either misconfigured or very strange

1 Like

I had in France a router after my box, better wifi quality… that may help, in case of internet shortage.

For your transport CD, any correct CD player with SPDIF output will be perfect !

It’ll depend on the transport. Ideally it will be a coaxial bnc input on the nd555.

I had an ADSL router before, now it’s fiber. Both work the same. All is down or all is working.

I can only tell you that this is not normal

3 Likes