Balanced? Are you sure?

Whilst I understand that individual users may find the balance needs to be off centre, I don’t see why indicating the centre position would prevent anyone from setting it as they see fit.

and if you a bit ocd like me (aren’t we all?)… I was constantly squinting at the knob twitching it a little back and forth trying to get the marker exactly vertical :wink: ISTR even using a set square to try and get it exact.

3 Likes

There is no signal going through the volume pot. It’s not wirewound either.

1 Like

I hear that!

2 Likes

Though having it off centre is sonically better and it will stay off centre for that reason, it still annoys me. I don’t know why. I’m not annoyed by the position of the volume control.

Presumably that’s not the reason why some knobs have no markings or detents, but just in case I was wondering about my OCD level……

2 Likes

It makes every sense for a volume control to indicate its position visually so ut can be set about right before playing music, e.g. after switch off or when changing sources.

The only logic I can see for a balance control to be marked or with a detent would be for initial setup purposes when other things are being adjusted for balance.

Just be thankful you have one! Neither my DAC which feeds my power amp direct has one, nor the preamp I insert when I want to connect an analogue source, and the power amp doesn’t have gain controls, so an imbalance I have is impossible to adjust. (When I was actively driving, the active XO was adjustable for gain individually for every amp channel, so there wasn’t a problem then).

I have an XS3 which does not have a balance nob and I rarely get above 07:30 on the volume pot. There is an imbalance at my listening position, so I am forced to use Roon to alter the speaker gain by a few db to correct. A bit cheaper than upgrading to SN3!

1 Like

That’s one reason why I like having an analogue preamp in my streaming DAC so I can adjust (lower) the input signal without SQ loss - in this way my SN3 is usually around 9-10 unless I use the phono.

1 Like

Naim really ought to reduce input sensitivity (preamp gain) on their inputs to enable volume controls to be used over a wider control range for better control and avoiding the imbalance towards potentiometer extreme.

In my view good practice would be normal listening levels with knob near vertical (say 11-13 o’clock, depending on speaker sensitivity and listening distance). Quiet would be perhaps around 9 o’clock and below, and loud 15 o’clock and above.

That is more of less what my preamps have done, and it allows good control.

2 Likes

Naim should stick to their philosophy of optimising sound…

1 Like

The balance knob isn’t always centred anyway, though if the various supernaits are any guide they’re getting better. The 282 and 552 I’ve bought both had uncentred knobs.

Naim do things their way. I disagree with a lot of their choices. But Naim does these things to create the Naim Sound and they aren’t going to change. I do like my Muso II though .

As far as potentiometers go most if not all will have the most flaws at their lowest setting. Such as channel imbalances etc. I find it peculiar that on the 552 an Alps pot is used.

2 Likes

Indeed, but where possible also improve usability and user fruendliness…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.