Banana plugs

I was trying to keep it simple, but as you indicate it’s not quite so.
But back on subject, the sub needs to get its feed from the speaker end of the amp output.

Nice to know. I’ve never hooked up any REL that way, ever. Tube amps, Digital amps, Naim amps, Levinson, Krell, ARC, Devialet, Bel Canto and on and on. I’m surprised that REL doesn’t specify this connection, or even mention it in any of their setup guides… Unfortunately my speakers are in large built in book cases on either side of a floor to ceiling stone fireplace and hearth and I’m using the REL Baseline Blue cable; that I’m not going to rip apart into thirds so that I can string wires across my room. I wonder why REL doesn’t offer their Sub cable in that configuration? I certainly will give REL a ring on Monday and Focal Naim USA to get their opinions.

Fwiw, it’s only an issue with Naim amps because of their reliance on the speaker cable to provide correct inductance. It shouldn’t be an issue with later Naim Amps but experience has shown that it pays to still connect at speaker end with Naim amps.

There have been many threads on this on the old forum. Poor sound issues relating to connecting a sub from the Naim amp sockets, then the revelation of connecting from the speaker end. It does though mean that you need to split the REL supplied cable or have a new cable made.

Which amp is in question

SN2 brand new.

Hi Adam. Thank you.

Hi Richard. I’m going to listen to the system with the REL disconnected. Nice one can simply disconnect a Speakon connector while its on… sort of like XLR’s. Anyway I’m going to be re-terminating my speaker cables tomorrow with WBT’s so I’ll have a chance to compare woofer connected at amp, woofer disconnected but wires still on, and woofer disconnected and no wires hooked up at all. Accordingly it should sound the best ( comparatively ) with the REL completely disconnected ?

@chrissu Sorry should have just said binding posts. 5 way is very old school … my bad.

Any reason why you don’t power the sub(s) from the SN2 ‘bi-amp’ DIN output.
I set up a BK sub for a friend first using my Supernait (1) to check functionality & my own familiarity. It seemed remarkably simple with small discrete cable.
I then took it & connected to his new SN2 & set up the levels, phase etc., it sounded pretty good on his system & room.

I certainly could use the Sub Outs, but the High Level typically sounds better. As I mentioned I’m going to try a few different things, apart from speaking with the REL and Naim folks tomorrow.

From the REL manual:

Connecting and Setting Up High-level connection, using the enclosed cable with the Neutrik® Speakon® connector, is always the first choice. This connection can be made without affecting the performance of the amplifier because the REL’s amplifier input impedance is 150,000 ohms, in effect producing NO additional load on the rest of your system. •

OK I’ve read that a long while ago. They are not grasping the finer details & requirements of a power amp.

Connecting to speakers is not a requirement for all Naim amplifiers.
On my Unitilite it is fine , I checked with Naim beforehand.

Hi Mike… Let see if I got this right. My speaker cable is 0.15 mh inductance a foot pair, equals 30.5cm The REL 16 gauge solid core is 0.37 mh a foot or .52mh combined per foot, I’m using 14ft thats about 7.3mh per leg is that not enough? That Naim Naca5 is 1mh per meter or 0.33 mh per foot so its very low impedance of 3.5mh per leg?

No - running parallel wires “halves” inductance
(& I’m assuming with your mH you mean uH)

0.15uH paralleled with 0.37uH [0.15*0.37/(0.15+0.37)] = 0.11uH per foot which is 0.35uH per metre & thats not ideal. OK with a SN2 it won’t break anything but it’ll probably sound better with something higher.

Having the sub feed off the main speaker puts them in series & will help
0.15uH/ft = for the main speaker cable is 0.49uH per meter, OK its half of what it should be but its a lot better than the parallel set up
It’ll be further helped by the speaker to sub cable inductance
0.37uH/ft = 1.21uH per metre (I’m inclined to not believe that 0.37 number, but moving on)

What I don’t understand is that Naim power amps are amongst the the most expensive and you have to use special speaker cable to avoid damaging them.Why can’t they have speaker outlet circuits like 99% of other manufacturers.

Simple reason - performance. It’s considered than an amp generally sounds better without the extra inductance networks on the output to provide required stability. Using the speaker cable to provide the extra inductance for stability is a neat piece of engineering that avoids the extra network.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.