Bands who changed direction, and remained successful?

Fleetwood Mac and The Doobie Brothers are my starter.

Others?

G

2 Likes

Genesis fits for me.

4 Likes

An odd one, but Simple Minds, who went from respected post punk electronic experimentalists to stadium filling anthemic rockers in the mid 80s.

2 Likes

Radiohead

2 Likes

Rainbow, they went from an early heavy metal band to a melodic rock band (in my view anyway).

1 Like

Japan?

2 Likes

How about the opposite? Arctic Monkeys

3 Likes

Arctics completely changed style - from indie rock to lounge lizards :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Dylan most notoriously from accoustic folk to electric…

4 Likes

The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

4 Likes

Fleetwood Mac underwent significant change after psychiatric illness led to Peter Green’s enforced departure.

And there is an obvious parallel with Syd Barrett being forced out of Pink Floyd, and replaced by David Gilmour.

Status Quo also changed their musical style completely.

3 Likes

Depends what is meant by “remained successful”! E.g. Fleetwood Mac became successful commercially, but to me ceased being interesting/enjoyable. Many bands changed direction in their seeking of commercial, rather than artistic, success (i.e “sold out”).

4 Likes

One band that changed direction, reinventing themselves many times and stayed successful was The Beegees of course. They also stayed as one the most successful writing partnerships in music history.

2 Likes

Not a band as such, but Tim Buckley went through a bewildering set of changes over seven studio albums (and numerous live offerings).

2 Likes

Steely Dan…?

1 Like

To my ears, Status Quo were grunge in their early days and softened (e.g. In the Army Now) as age crept up on them.

Best period for me was Hello! thru Blue for You.

2 Likes

Yes, I remember being astonished at seeing ‘Saturday Night Fever’, and realising that this was indeed the boring old BeeGees on the soundtrack.

1 Like

They even had to change direction again after SNF, after the vinyl demolition at Comiskey Park their lives were threatened and they stopped touring for while. They couldn’t get any airplay on US radio either. The change of direction was them writing songs for other singers, Dolly Parton, Celine Dion, Diana Ross and many many others.

1 Like

Artistically more than commercially, Talk Talk. What an incredible catalogue.

Add Mark Hollis’ sole solo album and it’s quite an amazing journey in developing and crafting a sound.

4 Likes

Peter Green’s health problems and their cause are contested but he voluntarily made the choice to leave Fleetwood Mac; the circumstances with Syd Barrett and PF were completely different. Barrett had become unreliable and dysfunctional when he was dropped - the rest of the band were shocked when Green announced he was quitting. Green had anticipated leaving Fleetwood Mac at some point by changing their name from Peter Green’s FM. His problems with his mental health developed from then on.

2 Likes