Toyha
The undertones
Bad manners
The thompson twins
Stiff little fingers
The alarm
Billy Bragg
The band I was in! (Don’t ask)
And of course……Gary Glitter (he must have been doing the rounds, again)

Basically mostly cheap gigs

Saw Terraplane support Foreigner at Wembley Arena. They were good but Thunder were much better.
Once took a mini-bus full of my sixth form students to see Thunder in Poole around the Backstreet Symphony time. A great time was had by all. Would probably sink in red tape now!

2 Likes

Thunder were/are superb live. I’d forgotten Terraplane. Then there was Webb Wilder supporting the Georgia Satellites. Cracking gig

I was lucky enough to be at Oxford Poly in the mid 70’s when it staged some of the greatest bands and artists of the day. There were so many, including my favourite Captain Beefheart, and also Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Doobie Brothers, John Martyn, Poco, Hall & Oates, Toots and the Maytals, Be Bop Deluxe, Richard and Linda Thompson, John Cale, Sutherland Brothers and Quiver, Sandy Denny, Canned Heat, Tangerine Dream, Rory Gallagher, Genesis, J Geils, Focus, Lou Reed, Hawkwind, Humble Pie and Wishbone Ash.
Brilliantly I managed to miss David Bowie!

6 Likes

Polytechnic of North London in the second half of the 70s. Many of those listed above including the magnificent john Martyn and Stackridge amongst many others. Watched the second concert the Damned ever played. With all the lights on for security evidently and the Tom Robinson Band used to play almost a residency in the Kentish Town students union. One stand out band was the funk rock band Moon. Made two albums and then disappeared. Much played in this house still.

2 Likes

Ah, Moon. Saw them not on the college circuit, but at the Torrington in North Finchley.

A band much played here too.

1 Like

I remembered a few more:
The Police, John Cooper Clark, Pere Ubu, the Slits.

And many lunchtime and evening classical performances.

Jim

1 Like

The Strawbs
Donovan
Hazel O’Connor

1 Like

Hi. Got an email message form you asking if I was at L-N. I was indeed! Tried to reply but it bounced back for some reason! Trying again

Hi Nick
We worked together on a significant project that we both enjoyed.
I’ll ask @Richard.Dane to give you my email.
Jim

Too many to name as I went to at least one concert every couple of weeks on average, but a selection that I can track from York, Leeds Poly, Leeds Uni, Warwick, or Bradford in the mid 80s:
The Clash
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Fall
Motorhead
The Bangles
The Mission
Sisters of Mercy
The Damned
The Stranglers
The Men They Couldn’t Hang
The Shamen
The Godfathers
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Spear of Destiny
CUD
Fuzzbox
Wedding Present
Soup Dragons
Inspiral Carpets
Killing Joke
Prefab Sprout
The Chesterfields
Zeke Manyika
New Model Army
James
Zoot and the Roots

1 Like

I saw the specials. The bass guitarist run off the stage into the crowd and proceeded to beat a (probably) racist chap up with the guitar. Great concert after that.
Echo and the Bunnymen at Shepton Mallet in the pouring rain. Must have thought he was Mr Mojo Risin when they finished off with “The End”
Slade were also very good in a small venue in one of Brunel university bars

1978-81

The Clash, Newcastle Poly late ‘77. Remember it more for the fear of all the fighting/agro. Got home unscathed luckily :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.