Bands you saw on the Student or College Circuit

Steely Dan in Leeds Student Union circa 72/73 magnificent and still great now !

2 Likes

Being certifiably thick I avoided university.

Studied A level geology at Barnet FE college and my first gig there in 1970 was Manfred Mann’s Earth Band. On the same night across the road at the Salisbury hotel the Groundhogs were making a fair amount of noise too.

1 Like

Loughborough University 78-82:

The Albion Band
UK
Gordon Giltrap
XTC
Renaissance
Judie Tzuke
Hawkwind
The Sound
The Kinks
Kissing the Pink
Alberto Y Los Trios Paranoias (with support band The Police!)
Stiff Records various artists tour (my mother tactfully disposed of the somewhat rude t shirt I bought when she did some washing
)

1 Like

Nice thread.

The Icicle Works
Clannad
Suzanne Vega
Gregson and Collister
Many local bands/jazz outfits.
U2 - Joshua Tree concert - the only gig I’ve been so bored I walked out!
Van Morrison, Meatloaf, Mary Black, many others at FĂ©ile 90:

Many others I suspect.

Though I wasn’t at College or University I did see Oasis at the Brighton Centre East Wing in June '94 when I was 24 so I suppose it just counts.

Happy Mondays at The Event in Brighton in March of 1989 when I was 19.

Paul Weller at The Zap Club Brighton in April of 1991 when I was 20.

At the Coco Club a night at The Zap Club in Brighton put on by the DJ Chris Coco I saw live sets by both Ten City and Jocelyn Brown a bit vague on the dates but during 1989 when I was 19.

Reggae Sunsplash, Clapham Common 1987 amongst others Dennis Brown and Freddie McGregor when I was 18

Artist Against Apartheid Rally 1986 also at Clapham Common The Style Council, Loose Ends, Gil Scott Heron, Billy Bragg and Boy George I was 17 possibly 16.

Dennis Brown, Top Rank, Brighton 1986 I was 16

I saw more bands whilst at secondary school including Black Uhuru, Misty in Roots, Aswad, Gregory Isaacs, Winston Reedy and Frankie Paul.

One of the Bands I saw in Leicester as a Student were The Photos, ultimately unsuccessful, but did have a top 10 album.
They were supported in about 1980 by an unknown and apparently ignored band called U2.
The Photos were local to my home town and I was chatting with one of the band members about a year ago. I asked him whether they thought U2 were destined for bigger things. He said not really, but they were definitely “doing their own thing”.

At Huddersfield Poly, Gary Glitter, Dumpys Rusty Nuts, Haze, Magnum, Phil Lynotts Grand Slam (brought parts of the cieling down as it was a bit loud!) Venom (the audience was made up of 2 people
) Buddy Curtess and the Grasshopers, Terraplane.

1 Like

I believe Terraplane morphed into Thunder, who are one of my fav bands. Were they any good?

Indeed they did become Thunder, who, like you are also one of my favorite bands. And, yes, form what I remember they were good, it’s a long time ago now
 I imagine you’ve heard their recent output?

Also one more band to add, UFO at Leeds University.

2 Likes

Thunder were and still are a good rock band. Their best album was probably Backstreet Symphony, typical 80s rock. I used to go and see local cover bands in and around Essex years ago, one band had a bassist called Chris Childs. In his late teens early 20s then. Now playing with Thunder and the Illegal Eagles. Great player and thoroughly nice bloke.

1 Like

Great thread thank you!

Sheffield Poly 1980-1984. Memorable bands were;
Simple Minds (not very good actually)
U2 supported by Altered Images (very good, a riot!)
Judy Tzuke (I fell in love on ‘stay with me till dawn’)
Killing Joke
The Au Pairs
Thompson Twins
John Cooper Clarke

My dad used to come over to jazz concerts at The Crucible, notably;
Dizzie Gillespie
Barbara Thomson

Happy memories, so much fun.

2 Likes

Re SM, not good or you didn’t like them?

Genuine Q.

Sheffield was such a good place as a student?!
I spent far too much time at both SUs, Limit, Leadmill, and Crucible. Played sport and had a part-time job. Even got a degree at the end.
“Tell that to the kids today and they won’t believe you” 

I saw them supported by the Lotus Eaters in 1983, unexpectedly good as I was there for the support band

They had just released the album with The American on it which I really liked. Raved about them to friends but they were disappointing live.
They were starting out on the road to fame and were a bit nervous and under-confident.
Saw them years later and they were stadium gods!

At Kingston Poly,

Pete Shelley - excellent, if poorly attended
The Highlanders - psycho billy loons, really good
The Go-Betweens - brilliant

Ah, interesting, I actually preferred the early period up to Sparkle In The Rain, then they lost the plot in my opinion.
Perhaps just an off night.
Thanks anyway.

The price of the tickets made me smile!
Saw the Stranglers in the late-70s, tickets were 80p.
A world away from the last big band I saw AC/DC when the only tickets available were from resellers at ÂŁ150.

“Led Zeppelin, Steam, Mag Wheels and the Lug Nuts, Sha Na Na, Chuck Berry, Azteca, Three Dog Night, Heart, Grace Slick, Tower of Power, Los Lobos, a couple more I can’t recall.

At the union itself:

Dead or Alive
Divine
Talking Heads
The Waterboys
The Proclaimers
Prefab Sprout
The Cure
Texas (dreadful live, every time)

At local venues:

Marillion
Quo
Def Leppard
Whitesnake
Bon Jovi
ZZ Top
David Lee Roth (post VH)
Aerosmith
The Cult
And a huge range of mid 80s hair metal acts

And Glitter. He always played Glasgow on Christmas Eve and it was always drunken mayhem. Shame who he was/is. We never knew.