Bass management

Hi,

Has anyone figured out how to add bass management to naim amplifiers/equipment? For example how to use a low pass filter to subs connected to a Naim XS or SuperNait and high pass filter to the main speakers?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Walter

Subs have their own low pass filter, so there is no need for the amplifier to do it.

I use a Nait XS3, like the rest of the Naim integrated; the ‘subwoofer output’ is a full range affair, but is controlled via the volume pot on the front of amp(/remote)…

In my case- I can feed the ‘sub out’ from the Naim amp to the Subwoofers line inputs, (full freq feed), with the Subwoofer then performing a HF pass and limits sound above 70hz to the main speakers… (via the RCA outputs, next to the inputs I am using)
(if my speakers were active/‘powered’ this would work)

As I do NOT have active speakers and need the Naim amp to, erm, ‘amplifiy’ my speakers- the method I have to employ is a ‘little different’…

I run the preamp outputs from my DAC into the Subwoofer, and then bounce that signal on, via the Subwoofers HF filtered output RCAs- which I can then feed into my amplifier using ‘AV Bypass’ mode on the amp. (AV input, and either a remote control command (Nait 5Si), or a switch on the back of the amp (Supernait/XS)…

This can ease the burden on the amp (Bass frequencies can easily be 70% of the power consumption when playing music)…

Theorhetically, even beyond the bass management, this could aid the musicality of a setup if the amp is ‘out of headroom’.

Hi,
Could you elaborate a bit more please? Do you mean that if the sub has its crossover set at 80 hz, the Naim amplifier will know and send to the main speakers only that which is above that sub crossover?

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Let’s see if I understood.

• connect your source (dac) with rca to the back to your subwoofer (with a dialed crossover),.
  • connect your sub with rca to the back of a Naim amplifier that has sub outs.
  • set the Naim amp direct AV in the back

Is that it?

-=Pause=-

I am a random on the internet, NOT familiar with your system/setup or level of knowledge.

My description of two different setups; one being for active monitors, that do not ‘need’ an amplifier in front of them- not a lot of amplifier buyers are in this camp…

The second was a config, for those with a variable volume part ‘up front’; for me it is my DAC, but ONLY because it has a preamp function where it can vary the voltage/volume output from the rear connectors.
…because it can vary the volume; the signal, after ‘bouncing via the subwoofer’ (certain subwoofers can HF limit the output they send), can feed into the Naim integrated amplifier using the AV BYPASS function (it expects a variable volume feed).

If you use line level outputs , say NOT FROM A PREAMP; meaning the output on the ‘DAC’(not in preamp funciton) would be ‘full level’.
If you fed that via your sub and into your integrated amp:
a)sub would play at full volume
b)amp would play at full volume (if using AV Bypass)

if you were not using the amp in AV Bypass mode, then the sub would play at ‘full volume’ and then you would use the volume pot on the Naim amp to attempt to mix the speakers to match…

Neither of these setups is correct, and, worse, will likely break things.
(will post then edit)

I would recommend place a photo of the rear of your subwoofer up for others to see… to make sure things are ‘set right’.

The traditional way to do this is to feed the speaker cables from your amp into your sub, and then the cables to your speakers run FROM the sub.

This has always been the better sounding method of the two (better than using RCA cables on most subs)

Given my lack of nice speaker cables of suitable length with correct terminations, I do not use the speaker cable method.

It does come down to how the High Frequency cut works on your sub… (the ins and outs available to us)

There IS a couple of ways to do this…

…many paths to the summit.
Have you done this before /familiar with the steps?

1 Like

The reason a subwoofer is called a subwoofer is that extends the bass below the level of the woofers in your main speakers. When configuring a sub you should look up the low frequency limit of your main speakers and set the sub low pass filter to approximately that level. Then adjust it up or down a little by ear.

The amp doesn’t know what you are doing here. It just sends out a full range signal and lets the sub do the filtering.

There are a few subs that do things a little differently to this, but the majority of them work as above.

1 Like

I have found that using an instrumentation mic (such as a miniDSP Umik) and a copy of REW makes setup of subs very much easier than trying to do it by ear alone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.