BBC radio channels -alternative access method without "sounds/I-player""

I am starting a new thread which is for those who want to access BBC radio at high quality but want a direct player for computers which supports favorites and playlists etc. If you use only a Naim streamer this won’t bother you.

Your network needs a running Logitech media Server. This is open source software and it has a plug-in to allow access to BBC Sounds. Basically you provide your BBC log-in and all the radio channels become available. In addition to the server on your network you also need a player which can be on the same or another device, computer based of other hardware. I am using the squeezelite-X app and this works for me.

Whether you use the Logitech server only for radio is entirely your choice. It supports a wide range of sources if required.

If this is of interest and you want more information just ask questions.

1 Like

Update:

I have made some further progress with Logitech Media Server and installed it on a Raspberry Pi 4. As well as the BBC Sounds plug-in I have also used the UPNP bridge plug-in which gives me complete freedom to play server output via any compatible player device or software including the Naim QB of course.

Finally I have mounted my central media storage using CIFS protocol so I can play anything from my digital music collection and even synchronise output across more than one room.

So perhaps I should be grateful to the BBC for curtailing its direct HD radio streams. Pity its made it so complicated!

2 Likes

Another Iteration:

I had the opportunity to buy a micro computer based on the Intel N4000 cpu which came complete with Windows 11 Pro. So I have moved LM Server on to this and incorporated it into my main hi-fi system. I can run it without screen at a power consumption of less than 4 watts then turn on the screen for serious armchair listening via my iFi Zen DAC when required.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.