BBC’s Question of Sport

I agree, the weather forecast is the only good bit.

I enjoy that one. As for “pointless celebrities”, the name says it all! Who celebrates these people?

For the avoidance of doubt, my list above is the programmes that I enjoy…

1 Like

Now I especially like pointless celebrities. I can answer quite a few of their questions.

Makes a welcome break from “Brain Teasers” :sunglasses:

Me. Quite often there’ll be people on who I think 'oh yeah, I like him / her", and then it becomes worth watching. It usually is unless there’s someone on who I’d routinely takes steps to avoid and as the Sky box by default goes into series link when Record is pressed, it’s easy to filter out the ones worth ignoring. (Does anyone watch linear tv these days?)

Osman’s running gag is to reference the show’s title with the people on a celeb edition, to invoke the second meaning of pointless in that context.

1 Like

Homes under the hammer
This is the best BBC mainstay, watching derek spend £50k on a non detached small run down property and transforming it into 4 highend flats.

1 Like

If that means watching TV as it is broadcast, the answer is yes. Though I also use the catch-up options available for main UK channels.

As for Sky, whilst I would happily have a satellite receiver for free channels (I did have in my previous house, just never got around to installing in the present one - in 10 years!), I have no interest whatsoever in Sky, or any subscription service given that I pay a licence fee already.

Returning to celebrities, whilst some people deserve praise snd revognition for achievements, I detest mass idolatry and the whole “celebrity” culture, these days all toooften based on some obnoxious moron’s distasteful bad behaviour on a so-called “reality TV” programme. (What on earth is real about such programmes?!)

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Almost as angry as me seeing would of in a sentence. Anyway, points…

News and sport apart, it’s rare these days to watch a programme as broadcast. If nothing else, starting about 15 minutes after a prog begins means that the ads can be skipped and it still ends on time. It’s quite easy to tune into the ad break length (usually 5 or 6 mins each) and knock out an hour’s programme in about 34 mins, esp if allowing for the post-break recap / filler that’s built in these days to allow for ad skippers.

Sky is great. We don’t knowingly watch any Sky channels, other than their football, cricket & F1. Other channels aren’t all Sky channels, the owners of things like W, Nat Geo, Gold etc pay to be on the EPG. There’s no way on earth that BBC or C4 would devote the whole day + a bit of chat at each end of the day to cricket, or F1. And if they did, they don’t have the option of viewing in UHD/4K. Of the channels that make up the various packages there are enough to enjoy. The reality is that Sky Sports costs a lot, you get some other stuff thrown in. Much like The Sunday Times has a lot of sections (pre-covid at least) but you don’t have to read them all, just the ones of interest.

I don’t think you’ve seen Pointless Celebs. Reality tv stars don’t feature, it’s aimed more at middle aged folk so Ken Bruce and his R2 colleagues have been a feature, or comedians, or pop stars from the 80s, that sort of thing. People who are famous for getting their norks out on Love Island don’t tend to appear on PC, and if they did that’d be an episode to delete without seeing it. I think the production team know their audience - the audience is the same as the people that go on the normal show; middle aged & retired people and students.

It is still a shame if QOS has become a victim of"woke" cr@p
I had not even considered it might be that

Indeed I haven’t - the mere mention of “celebs” is a complete turn-off, so the very title ensured I would never see it, however apt I thought it was!

I don’t know why you would have thought that. BBC is rightly pulling a programme that is years past its sell by date with tired and lame humour. It suits some to say that this is part of some secret woke conspiracy but it is much simpler than that

3 Likes

BBCs Question of sport was something my dad used to watch in the 1980s with Emlyn Hughes and Bill Beaumont. Totally bored me to death at the time. I would rather had watched Ceefax.
I was totally devastated when they turned that off after 38 years.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.