BBC to remove services from TuneIn

That’s quite shocking to read, whatever the BBC wants it will just get, without question?
Do Naim not care in any way about the privacy of their customers?

And is this true for just the BBC or other service providers as well?

1 Like

after quite a while considering I recently cancelled my bbc licence.

Not had a knock on the door yet.

Also don’t miss the live tv.

internet radio, car radio and Netflix - quite an eye opener as I thought I would miss breakfast tv but realise it was just a habit and I am glad I don’t get their constant political stance shoved down my throat (I am not interested in politics).

Cricket too …

Very true. Constant frustration.

My big thing is the alarm. Saw something a while back saying sales of radio alarms at the cheaper end had fallen through the floor as we’re all using phones. The BBC decision to have no alarm in Sounds won’t cost them financially but it certainly has in terms of goodwill.

1 Like

There’s a bit of detail here at https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582 if you can work through it.

The comments below the blog are quite telling.

Hi @Stevesky,

would you mind commenting on Naim’s policy / clarifying your previous comment ?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
N-Lot

Hi @n-lot

Sure, as from reading this thread there is quite a lot of heated debate regarding this subject.

Firstly, on any streaming platform it’s a constant moving target to keep up with all the services out there. A combination of back-end server enhancements, bug & security fixes, custom protocols getting killed off for newer versions, rights management to access certain content per region and broadcasters changing their policies of how their content is consumed.

In the case of the BBC they always had requirements for identification of platform type accessing their system, primarily for troubleshooting. It’s just a device/manufacturer identifier with no details regarding who the end user is - much like how a web site knows the browser being used. As part of the BBC’s restructure of their content delivery they are requesting that this identification is improved for OnDemand content, but in practice it’s business as usual if third parties like Naim follow the guidelines.

If a given party does not want to comply with how the API should be used, then naturally that can result in friction and ultimately loss of service if neither side wants to back down.

From Naim:

• We want the customers to just enjoy their systems and not get caught up with these technicalities. Behind the scenes we put a lot of effort in to keep services like internet radio running smoothly.

• To achieve this we will aim that we provide software updates that comply to the latest requirements if the change can’t be done server side.

Hope that clarifies the situation.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

1 Like

@Stevesky Thanks for your reply. I understand that Naim wants to “shield” users from technicalities, and I think that’s right. Users trust you to do that, as evident from the comments in this thread. But by asking users to trust Naim, Naim also takes on a responsibility.

Your previous response made it seem as if Naim would do ‘whatever it takes’ to provide a service (BBC), whereas your latest one seems to at least acknowledge that there could be a point at which enough is enough. I.e. there could be a scenario in which a loss of service could occur.

Thank you for confirming that.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.