Best album/cd cover

Well you know what they say, haters will hate. :grin:

1 Like

4 Likes

12 Likes

I’m wondering how many people are actually just posting their favourite album, really :thinking:

For me, the most eye-catching is most certainly this one:

Pink Floyd - Pulse

I remember seeing that version at a friend’s house when I was very young and was mesmerised by it! I was too young to buy an original version, but my uncle was kind enough yo swap my regular version for the one with the light. I keep replacing the batteries too, to make sure it is as eye-catching to others as it was for me all those years ago!

17 Likes

1 Like

That’s a rather odd and possibly inappropriate image to post.

1 Like

Iconic. Don Letts taking on the Met single handed. .

4 Likes

4 Likes

I went back and looked at it again. I’m softening my view. It’s quite clever, and that goes a long way.

1 Like

Local artist I just bought the LP. I love the music as much as the cover. :slight_smile:

Ideas are rarely totally original.

7 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Goanna Spirit of Place. 40th anniversary edition. Probably also one of the best looking album covers.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Err… Who is it?

It’s Pink Floyd - Pulse

OK, it’s not an album, but a 12" single, the biggest-selling twelve-incher of all time – “Blue Monday” by New Order (1983). Peter Saville’s sleeve was modelled on an old fashioned five-inch floppy disk. The version to have is the first UK pressing from March 1983, with the die-cut sleeve and silver inner. Just perfect.

9 Likes

Of course there’s also PiL’s magnificent Metal Box (1979), three 12-inchers packaged in a film can. Funnily enough, I think they look better rusty and battered (as mine is) rather than all shiny…

7 Likes

The original German cover of Kraftwerk’s Autobahn featured a painting by Ralf and Florian’s friend Emil Schult. By the time the album made it over to the UK, some unknown bod in Phonogram’s marketing department swapped it for a clean, minimalist and timelessly modern design. No less a person than Peter Saville thinks it’s the greatest sleeve ever. He has a point…

Original German:

The far superior UK version:

8 Likes