Best album/cd cover

Surprisingly no one has posted this

16 Likes

Perhaps because we became so familiar with it when we were young, we ceased to see it as a path-breaking graphic design? Hipgnosis of course.

2 Likes

Just a comment from the originator… Thanks to all who have contributed! There are some amazing covers out there :grinning:

1 Like

Folk tended to have pictures of the band. But Ten Man Mop or Mr Reservoir Butler Rides Again on the short lived Pegasus label used a Victorian photo by Benjamin Stone.
2L-03665-521881915

There’s another photo on the back of the gatefold and the record sleeves are marbled to resemble an old book.

2 Likes

Another classic

16 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out :bangbang::bangbang::bangbang:

Proves you can learn something everyday :joy::joy:

Me aged 71 and a half with the original LP

2 Likes

Relieved to find I’m not alone!

1 Like

Precisely what I thought, Pete …

1 Like

I was thinking of flagging it but no one else seems to be concerned. I think it’s just plan wrong.

3 Likes

I’ve always like this one …

16 Likes

Yes, me too.

2 Likes

Another classic album cover. You had to open it out to see the contrast between the part demolished house and the high rise flats.

My favourite Zeppelin album cover though is probably Presence, with the mysterious ‘object’, which features in all the photographs.

14 Likes

It is an actual album cover. Google lens shows it as:

The Afghan Wigs - Gentlemen

If it were a random picture of someone’s children, I’d agree!

I don’t doubt that but I still think it’s wrong

1 Like

My wife introduced me to the Pixies. Simon Larbalestier’s photographs feature on the covers of the first five studio albums. Vaughan Oliver was the graphic designer. ‘Monkey Gone to Heaven’ (1988) You can see more of Larbalestier’s work and read about his process here. https://www.snapgalleries.com/simon-larbalestiers-classic-pixies-images-and-their-backstories/

4 Likes

Children in an ‘adult’ pose. Looks dubious these days.

Some belters posted up … i’ve got about 20 favourites, this is one of them …

10 Likes

Its impossible to have one?

New_Order_-_Technique

8 Likes

Your post has just reminded me of this:
Wishbone Ash - ‘No Smoke Without Fire’ (1978)
which reminds me of this:
Weather_Report-Heavy_Weather
Weather Report - ‘Heavy Weather’ (1977)
and this:
Climax Blues Band - ‘Flying the Flag’ (1980).

3 Likes

I tend to be swayed a lot by how much i like the music, thats the problem.

4 Likes