Best album/cd cover

Not everyone’s cup of tea musically, but this artwork is stunning (Bathory’s Blood, Fire, Death). Original painting by Peter Arbo

2 Likes

IMG_1417

4 Likes

Indeed:

Cited as an example of another idea that isn’t totally original. Not my favourite LP sleeve.

2 Likes

First Rainbow album

3 Likes

Strawbs - Deadlines

2 Likes

I own the album and it’s a great one. The cover I have never reflected on until your comment. Having done so I think it’s a clever and disturbing piece of art and I’m okay with art that disturbs. Art need not have one function. Actually, I wonder if a better way of putting it might be that it poses questions. For example, if it had been two adults would we have batted an eyelid? Does it really pose the question of how our perception changes when the pose is with children? Is the problem what is there or what we think is there?

It would be interesting to flag it but not flag the picture of a bloke on fire posted before it. Ditto the OP and Sticky Fingers given what we know of some of the Stones and their preferences and the image itself.

Must say that overwhelmingly people appear to be posting fave albums, as many of the covers above are objectively terrible.

Votes here for Supertramp (Breakfast), The Clash and The Velvets. I’m also a fan of both Kraftwerk covers but think you could argue that the more recent one loses out because it’s part of a collection styled along the same lines and, er, some are better than others. Much as I love The Clash and that double is it really better than the original Elvis cover?

Surprised we’ve seen no jazz covers yet. Some absolutely iconic absences thus far.

1 Like

I didn’t flag it but I’m still not comfortable about it, I still think it’s sexualising kids.

I was aware you’d not flagged it. I understand the discomfort to some extent but think the whole point is that it’s meant to provoke that initial reaction and then get you thinking “hang on, it’s literally a picture of two kids and there’s nothing sexualised about it at all”. It’s meant to show where our imagination takes us.

I can’t say I’d rave about it as an album cover. Interesting rather than great. For my part I find it far more disturbing that a picture of a groin with a fairly prominent sexual organ is okay as is a bloke on fire.

The rest of the choices here are arguably even more disturbing. Just genuinely ordinary and often very cheap looking album covers.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s sexualising children in the same way as that crass Blind Faith album cover. To me it seems to be saying - Hey kids, wait until you see what difficult relationships are like as an adult. Unsettling yes, but clever IMO

1 Like

Maybe and that’s probably why I didn’t flag it but I definitely agree about the Blind Faith cover, I’ve noticed Richard now deletes it.

2 Likes

Many many years ago I found this LP in a telephone box in London. Must be one of the most original covers ever.

7 Likes

Don’t know how this one was missed…

10 Likes

How I see her whenever her name’s mentioned.

2 Likes

Oh yeah … … … The Prodigy.

3 Likes

Nirvana’s classic cover. Having met a photographer in London who used a large tank to take similar images, the biggest challenge was the lighting. The young’uns underwater reflex was a major learning to me.

1 Like

Remember seeing this cover for the first time and thinking I just had to own the album. To me it oozes atmosphere & cry’s out great gig wish I was there. I still love the album.

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

6 Likes