Best alternative to naim streamer or dac

Auralic Aries G1 (or 2) into nDac will give a huge lift from the Sonos.

.sjb

Tidal hi res

It has no Dac, correct?

Also…what’s its iPad interface like?

Bluesound Node 2i?

Indeed, it’s “just” a streamer. But not being a jack of all trades means it excels at the one thing it does.

The Lightening app is at least on a par with the Naim app.

.sjb

1 Like

Thanks for that…looks interesting…

I have just gone through a similar question, should I upgrade my Sonos/Supernait Dac/Hicap to an ND5X2. A home demo showed very little difference in sound quality and a definite drop in user interface even with Roon.

The only advantage was ability to stream high resolution. Which is likely to come to my Sonos Port soon once the Sonos S2 upgrade settles.

I’m still going to explore other options:

• NDX2
  • Mytek Brooklyn Bridge
  • Sonos Wyred4sound digital upgrade

Problem coming from Sonos is the app is great and I can also use the native tidal app which is fantastic. Both make me listen to and discover more music.

My suggestion to you is to try an ensure a home demo, I think you’ll be surprised by the performance of the current setup.

No-one mention Chord DACs, yet? Many (but not all) people prefer the presentation to Naim’s DACs. Hugo relatively low cost but amazingly good (or H1 was to my ears, coming from an ND5XS - I haven’t heard H2), or TT a bit better, or Dave stunning. Feed from any number of players - my preference is a combined store and renderer, eliminating playing across a network, with choices of USB, S/PDIF or optical depending which: Melco, Innuos, headless Mac Mini running Audirvana, the very new Chord’s 2go+Ugo (latter I’d certainly look at).

Because these Chord DACs have built-in volume controls and have adequate drive, if you have no analogue sources you could even then abandon a preamp - personal preference whether you prefer the direct path sound, or through a preamp.

The OP has already an Ndac/ xps, and he likes the Naim sound. All he needs is a better transport than the Sonos one he has.

Indeed, however he or she does ask: what alternative to Naim streamer or DAC, and no-one had answered the second part of the question…

Agree…home demo is preferred once I know a route.

Interesting…was trying to stick with naim if I could…certainly at the pre and power stage.

Not sure NDX2 is a jump up in SQ…not sure that the dac in the NDX2 is as good as the nDac!

Certainly poor value for money… There has been lots of streamer discussion here, and specifically streamers for the Naim DAC. Just browse old threads, and you shall find wisdom… :slight_smile:

P.S. I would probably just order an Allo Digione Signature and Shanti power supply. Done and dusted — and back to the music… (Some report that the Digione Signature sounds better on a USBridge Sig board, rather than a regular Pi.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.