Best and Worst Upgrades

Agreed. I think the two upgrades work very well together.

2 Likes

The crap fronting my system currently retails for the price of one kidney and the extraction is performed with a ceremonial blunt axe. I have admittedly survived the procedure (by the skin of my teeth) but it is not recommended for those that are challenged follicularly (sadly Mohawks seldom survive). Wishing you a lovely morning :relaxed:

1 Like

Source first has been my experience as borne out by the following changes.

1A Best;Valhalla to Lingo 4 and Goldring Elite MC to Dynavector 20xL in one fitting.

1Aa Best Cirkus to Karousel and Cirkus sub-chassis to Kore in a second fitting.

Worst: Magnepan 1c to Revel F35 for room aesthetics-which I grudgingly agree.

Good: Audiolab 8000c with Rotel 870 to Supernait 2. It might be time to audition a HiCap DR.

Worst upgrade - replacing original Arcam Alpha CD with Arcam CD93, went from rich vibrant sound, to flat and lifeless.

Best upgrade - Kudos S20s > Titan 505s. So good that desires to replace 282 with a 552 have pretty much faded away :astonished:

Best VFM/biggest surprise - blind eBay purchase of Nat 05 replacing Arcam T91. No fancy aerial but on R3 just sublime.

5 Likes

Best and free upgrade, to use agressive toe in (about 40-45 degrees toe in) for my Kef Q550 (like Ken Ischiwata from Marantz does with demo’s). Sound is rock solid in every way.

1 Like

In my system:
Very good upgrades.

• Vovox Excelus powercord to Uniti Atom
  • Glass plate with silicon nitride ball bearings and brass feet on a bamboo base for the Uniti Atom ( Link here)
  • Solid Steel SS6 speaker stands with Isoacoustics Gaia 3
  • Tellurium ultra black II speaker cable (bought used)

Medium upgrades:

• Cisco 3560 Ethernet Switch
  • Vovox Sonorus Power Cable to Cisco Switch
  • Audioquest Cinnamon Ethernet and digital cable

Bad upgrades:

• Meicord Opal Ethernet cable (being sold)
2 Likes

Best upgrade for me was ND5 XS 2 to XPS DR/NDX 2 - it was like getting out of a Renault 5 GT Turbo and stepping into a Mercedes-Benz AMG C-Class Coupe.

Ok maybe i’m exaggerating a little…

2 Likes

You’re going to upset a lot of Renault drivers. :grin:

4 Likes

You can read his sentence two ways. He does not indicate a preference - well ‘upgrade’ maybe. I’d go for the Renault.

2 Likes

Dynaudio Evoke 50 > Kudos 707 big difference at big cost.
NDX2 > ND555 once again big cost difference.
252DR > 552DR also big cost difference.
Witch Hat cables significant difference at reasonable cost.

3 Likes

I’ve added recent stuff, and date-ranked. Scores at the end are a ‘1’ for a big change and a ‘3’ for consistently better if you concentrate but really not big. ‘XXXX’ means worse or no overall improvement.

Isoacoustics Gaia II feet under B&W 804 D3 speakers. 2022 2
Nain 300DR replacing Nain 250 power amplifier. 2022 2
New radial for mains supply, 8 sockets 2
Add SRM base and isolation platform to LP12/ Targett stand. 2022 3
Witch Hat Morgana complete loom to replace Naim standard and Hi-Line. 2022 3
Anti-vibration rubber bits from HRS for Naim kit, esp Superline and SC. 2022 3
Airplug Z replacing standard plug in Superline. 2022 3
Superline power to 52 from Hicap. 2022 3

Ethernet cable and switch for NDX2 in place of wi-fi. 2021 3
Karousel and Lingo 4 replacing Cirkus and Lingo 1. 2021 1

XPSDR for NDX2. 2020 2
Naim 52 in place of Naim 82. 2020 1
Supercap to replace 2 Hicaps on Naim 82. 2020 2
Superline to replace Linn Linto. 2020 1
Tellurium Black 2 speaker cable in place of Naim A5, largely for non-hi-fi reasons. 2020 3
B&W 804 D3s in place of Shahinian Compassses. 2020 1

Added Naim NDX2 streamer. 2019
All Naim boxes serviced. 2017 2
Second Hicap for Naim 82. 2017 3
Linn Kore to replace original sub-chassis. 2016 1
Linn Krystal to replace (knackered Arkiv). 2016 1

Hi-line to replace grey standard Naim interconnect for CDS2. 2012 3

CDS2 and PS to replace Marantz 52 -2-SE. 2006 1
Linn Arkiv to replace Ortofon MC25E, plus Lingo 1, Linto. 2006 1

HNE granite & oak spiked rack to replace Sound Org three-legged racks. 2004 3
Naim 82 & 250 to replace 72 & 140 (retaining Hicap). 2002 1
Shahinian Compasses to replace Rega ELAs. 2001 2
Rega ELA speakers to replace Heybrook HB1s. 2000 XXXXX
Ortofon MC25E to replace K5. 2000 2

Linn Ekos to replace Linn Basik Plus arm. 1999 1
Naim A5 to replace un-remembered budget speaker cable 1997 3
Marantz CD52 2SE added. 1995
Naim Hicap added to 72/140. 1995 2

Naim 72 & 140 to replace Creek 4040. 1994 1
LP12 (Cirkus, Valhalla, Basik Plus, K5) to replace Rega Planar 3. 1994 1

7 Likes

I wonder how many others started with a similar setup of Rega P3, Creek 4040 & Heybrook HB1?
It was my first real system and very good it was too for just under £500 from memory.

3 Likes

Anyone who listened to (and with) Jude Martens from Grahams in the late 80s and 90s…

3 Likes

Funny thing is I got mine from Studio 99 in Swiss Cottage.
It was at a later date I became a regular at Grahams where Ray used to cater for my LP12 needs.

1 Like

Perhaps great minds (and ears) think alike?

3 Likes

I think that your memory has slipped slightly, he was Jude Martens (if we’re talking about the same lovely man). He retired to live on the South Coast a few years ago.

It was he who started me on my serious dive into high fidelity some 40 years ago, and I’m pleased to say that I have all of it still (well, a few titivations here and there, esp to the LP12).

1 Like

Whoops! You’re right of course - I looked at what I typed and corrected. Thanks.

3 Likes

Ray was lovely, and a great LP12 fettler. Hope he’s enjoying his retirement. Colin has big boots to fill!

1 Like

Yeah he certainly was a nice chap. I’ve moved away from London area so I’ve not been to Graham’s for quite a few years.
I didn’t realise Ray had retired.

2 Likes

Latest upgrade: I wanted a second Rel T9i, but since they don’t make them anymore, I couldn’t find one, so I got 2 Rel T9x instead.
From the first sound, I absolutely got goosebumps. Bigger stage in all directions, better separation, betterd definition, the timbre of instruments have improved. Especially strings (acoustic guitars, pianos) sound a lot more realistic.
I dare to compare this upgrade with the addition of 555DR on the 272, it is huge.
So for anyone considering a 555DR, maybe could look at adding 2 subs instead, for 1/3 or the price.
Extremely recommended!

2 Likes