What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

@Thomas Can you elaborate on your choice of the Taiko server? With thanks.

Initially, I did not want to use a server.

I wanted to use Roon as advised by Roon Labs : a Roon server somewhere on the network and a Roon Endpoint connected to the DAC.

The ND555 is designed that way : the streamer part of the ND555 includes a Roon Endpoint. Therefore one can use whatever server somewhere on the network. The server needs only to be powerful enough to handle the Roon Core.

Taiko Audio has a difference approach.

The Taiko Extrem is a powerful machine that includes both the Roon Server and the Roon Endpoint.

In my opinion, this was nonsense. But… only fools refuse to change their minds.

How Taiko solved this problem is brilliant!

They implemented the Roon architecture in their own way, quite cleverly.

The result is that “part” of the server runs the Core, and another “part” runs the Endpoint. The whole thing is cleverly tweaked at the software level.

Taiko’s approach is so good that Roon now outperforms their own software, which is good news as I’m Roon user.

So both the hardware and software are highly optimised in the Taiko Extreme.

I ended up buying a Taiko Exteme, which I’ll use with my new DAC.

2 Likes

That is supposed to a great server and in your system should sound amazing, what size ssd did you go for.

Got IsoAcoustics Gaia 3 for my Spendor A4s!

19 Likes

Thanks, @Thomas. I have some more questions for you. @Richard.Dane - can you let @Thomas have my e-mail address please? Thanks!

Is Isoacoustics Gaia 3 week… @Mahesh

I replaced the original spikes of the Solid Steel SS6 Stands. I initially had doubts whether the Isoacoustics Gaia under Speaker Stands have a similar effect as under floorstanding speakers. But they have. Not night and day but they bring tighter bass and a little more resolution. I like it.

20 Likes

Hi Gazza,

Apparently, the Taiko Extreme is amongst the very best, if not the best. I won’t be able to confirm that as I won’t buy another server :sweat_smile:
But some did, and found the Taiko Extreme rules them all.

I’ll compare it against the network adapter included in the Soulution 760. Again some have already done that test; the Taiko seems to be the best choice.

As for the SSD, the Taiko server doesn’t use SSD drives; they’re too slow and clearly would be the bottleneck. Instead, they use PCIe modules, which are way faster than SSD and less noisy. Hence the price…

I ordered the server with 16TB storage capacity and the USB Extreme adapter.

Ahh that was it……those modules, should be very special……plenty of opportunity to tweak with cables😉 What a great system you have coming together👍

1 Like

Cables, tweaks, … that won’t happen :joy:

The only thing I enjoy tweaking is my room treatment. Amazing results for little effort. And I like its predictability, which is not the case with cables.

Well, I’ll do some test anyway… Ethernet cables!!! :blush:

I’ll try three of them :

• simple Cat.6 U/UTP
  • AQ Vodka
  • Nordost Valhalla 2

So from really cheap to über expensive :sweat_smile:

I bought the whole set of Nordost Valhalla 2 cables:
USB, EtherNet, 3x power cords, interconnects and speakers.

For that test, no expectation bias.
It really doesn’t matter which one is going to win.
But I’ll try to match the colour of the cables, the aspect of things matters as well. :man_artist:

@Thomas: Richard D has sent you my e-mail address. If you are agreeable, I’d like to ask a couple more questions offline - with thanks.

1 Like

Please excuse my “off topic” question.
I also need to speak with Richard D - offline - how is this done?

I’ve flagged your post, so Richard will see it.

1 Like

Hi Mahesh - how do you find the addition of the Gaias?

Thank you

I’ve messaged you.

1 Like

I’d hope it’s something special at €24k+…

You can have a look at the Antipodes K50. Considered among the best actually, with the Taiko.

Hi Billy,

Did send you a message, hope I can help.

Cheers,

Thomas

So do I! It was a tad more then that :sweat_smile:
It should be here in a few weeks.

Build quality looks top notch, look forward to your findings.