Best Anti War/Protest Songs

Don’t think of Bowie when it comes to anti war songs but I really like the subtle and personal nature of this.

Fantastic Voyage from the Lodger album.

3 Likes
1 Like

I was trying to think of an anti war song from him but all I could think of was The Real Thing.

I just very recently watched the biopic (See movie/dvd thread)
I thought the focus here was anti war. Helen was an iconic figure as I understand it, and I knew very little before watching the film, in the Womans equality movement

The Levellers did some good uns, including this from Levelling The Land

Another Mans Cause

1 Like

For protest songs in general, pick almost any song from The Wailers catalogue (or almost any other Roots Reggae artists)

But for a specifically anti war message try Real Situation from the brilliant Uprising album

1 Like

And of course WAR which was a speech given by Haille Sellassie to the United Nations warning that until racism and inequity is abolished and replaced with equal human rights there will always be WAR

Similarly Peters warning that to achieve peace first we need equal rights and justice

On the album version refencing Palestine, Angola, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Rhodesia…

3 Likes

My protest songs are anti war but the title does allow for songs that may fight for another cause that includes equal rights etc.

1 Like

Ok great, I’ve got a lot to protest about, will look up if anyones done any songs about Potholes for a start! :wink:

1 Like

I’m sure someone around here has, but they’re probably still stuck in one. Road maintenance seems to be an issue everywhere.

1 Like

All we are saying… is give roadworks a chance
John Lennon

Enough is Enough - Credit to The Nation & Chumbawamba
Powerful tune and straight talking lyrics. Play loud.
https://youtu.be/cD0Rf-N_FVE

1 Like

Very good @Dreadatthecontrols would also appreciate that. Thanks for sharing. :+1:

2 Likes

Billie Holiday’s powerful and moving song about lynching.

I prefer the 1930’s Commodore recording, Columbia refused to record it.

Live performance from 1959

3 Likes
1 Like

great Choice and a cracking band!

Midnight Oil were able to turn a land rights issue for Australia’s First Nation people into a world wide hit.

Beds Are Burning

5 Likes

Linton Kwesi Johnson- Sonnys Lettah