Best Anti War/Protest Songs

Tribute To The Martyrs…

:heart:

1 Like

Jello and DOA’s 15-minute ode to creeping militarism and the war on drugs.

1 Like

Taj Weekes & Adowa - To All My Relations

Beautiful album from St Lucia’s Taj Weekes, every track a powerful protest and or message song, subjects include spiritual unity, Standing Rock native American protests, police shootings of Sean Bell, Amadou Diallo shot 41 times by NYPD, ,Heroin Trade, the absurdity of War bombing for peace, pharmaceutical companies, Trump etc etc

HR on Qobuz, check it out

Sorry to hog the thread, last one for now

Powerful Black History and Civil Rights protest album with Abbey Lincoln, Max Roach etc still resonates

2 Likes

Unless I’ve misssed it can’t believe no one’s posted this:

Pete Seeger surely up there with greatest protest songwriters

4 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

So glad you have. Believe it or not it was next on my list but I’ve posted more than my fair share for now :+1:

1 Like

Mary Gauthier: Rifles & Rosary Beads. The whole album.

Edwin Starr War

2 Likes
1 Like

Buffy St. Marie, ‘My country ‘tis of thy people you’re dying’.
Makes me cry every time I hear it. Even more relevant now than on its ‘60s release.

I always thought (& still think) this song is about living in the city and particularly living in a gheto. I don’t believe it’s an anti-war or protest song as such?

John Prine, Sam Stone

How could we forget Joni Mitchell’s environmental message long before it was trendy.

Big Yellow Taxi

3 Likes

Extraordinary thread! This discussion brings back many memories for me.

The Vietnam War: A Film By Ken Burns & Lynn Novick by The Silkroad Ensemble on Qobuz!

1 Like

Another local favourite Spy v Spy Trash the Planet

You could escape that damn song when in 73/74. It also was responsible for starting a craz of people tying yellow ribbons to telegraph poles for one stupid reason or another.

Nobody has yet mentioned 'Shipbuilding ’ by Robert Wyatt. Choose your own version, but I go for the original

3 Likes