Best Anti War/Protest Songs

Wasnt that a different song, Tie A Yellow Ribbon,

Its a clear protest about living conditions in the “ghetto” and racial struggle, listen to the lyrics.

@Pete_the_painter who started the thread told me its open to all protest songs not just war
:heart:

Yep you’re right on both accounts.

And I’m not even on drugs. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Despite the cheese it does have a serious meaning, not quite sure of the history but it relates iirc to the American Civil War.

I do remember both sings and I do remember hating both of them. Cheese slapped on with more cheese finished with a topping of cheese.

1 Like

I see someone has taken issue with my posting of NWA F*K The Police and had it taken down.

Sorry if anyone finds it offensive, however Police brutality, corruption, targeting and murder of the Black community with impunity is offensive.

The song is a protest and commentary on the abuse of Police power, Rodney King, George Floyd etc and totally appropriate to a thread on protest music.

Ok, so it uses bad language, so do many other songs, movies and cultures, why arent they taken down?

51EXYv44SlL.SY580

5 Likes

As long as it protest based go for it.

I do agree, but underneath all that cheese there may have been some attempt at substance. However, probably missed by most pop pickers obscured by cheese.

I did and it was taken down

1 Like

I didn’t think anyone can’t delete your post they can flag it and then it’s up to Richard. Either way I’d get notified.

I’m sure there was good intent with both songs it’s just they were covered in too much honey to get any real traction.

1 Like

Yes that was my point :+1:

Excerpt from Wikipedia, there are other variants on its origin

The origin of the idea of a yellow ribbon as remembrance may have been the 19th-century practice that some women allegedly had of wearing a yellow ribbon in their hair to signify their devotion to a husband or sweetheart serving in the U.S. Cavalry. The song “'Round Her Neck She Wears a Yeller Ribbon”, tracing back centuries but copyrighted by George A. Norton in 1917, and later inspiring the John Wayne movie She Wore a Yellow Ribbon , is a reference to this.[4][5] The symbol of a yellow ribbon became widely known in civilian life in the 1970s as a reminder that an absent loved one, either in the military or in jail, would be welcomed home on their return.

I recieved notification

Did Richard delete it?

Flagged and removed by staff so I presume so

Odd

R-998043-1287679091

1 Like

2 Likes

brilliant, thanks for posting

Have the Joan Baez version