Best Concert in a Lifetime?

For me it was a concert in 2001 at the Gorge at George, Washington State. Journey, supported by John Waite and Peter Frampton. The sun setting behind the stage with the backdrop of the Colombia River, magical. Journey were amazing, John Waite was great, but Frampton stole the show and blew them both away. I was lucky enough to see Frampton at a small venue in Bristol a few years ago, and he was just sublime.

Lucky for me four times 1976, 1984 (Serious Moonlight), 1987 (Glass Spider) and with Tin Machine in 1991.

2 Likes

Pink Floyd - The Wall , Earls Court

7 Likes

Queen - Coventry Theatre, Shear Heart Attack Tour. My first ever concert - and stupidly got a ticket right at the front. As in Front Row.

Got - literally - blown away and almost drowned in Dry Ice… Fabulous…
What…? Sorry, it was quite loud, yes…!!

5 Likes

Caught Bowie in 73 at Guildford Civic Hall (now G Live), this would also have been a contender for best gig (as would Bruuuuce at Hammersmith Odeon in 75) amazing gig, there was a life-size cut out of the Aladdin Sane cover in the foyer which my friend John “borrowed” had it for years in his bedroom. My last Bowie gig was Meltdown at RFH , whenever that was, from row seats!

5 Likes

Bruce 1975 must have been a great concert judging from the live release.

On the Bowie theme - I caught Mick Ronson on a couple of ocassions live in the Hunter-Ronson Band - great shows - remember one at the Dominion with support Dogs D’amour

1 Like

So difficult, Credence at the RAH in 1971 my first serious rock gig, Bad Co Rainbow ‘74, the Eagles at Wembley on the HC tour in Apr ‘77 on the first tier over looking the stage no flashy lights or gimmicks just played, Dr Feelgood at the Kursaal ‘75, another vote for Robin Trower the New Vic in ‘76, Dire Straits which one? probably the Hope and Anchor ‘78, Eric Clapton blues night RAH ‘93, so wished I’d tried for tickets for Cream reunion, the Zutons Reading Hexagon ‘06 seriously good.

Perversely wish I’d been born 25 years earlier and could have seen the great jazz acts at Ronnie’s.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

I was there. Of all the entrances around the stadium, they opened ours first and we strolled briskly to the front centre barrier. It was good.

1 Like

Led Zeppelin 1975 at Earls Court followed by Pink Floyd 1994 same venue.

The Zeppelin concert was something special and remains imprinted in my brain after over 45 years. I’d just rushed back to London from Scotland after a month long Outward Bound course paid for by my employer, was fighting fit and stone cold sober.

The Floyd concert was lucky. My brother in law bought the tickets, but couldn’t get four for the same night. He kept those for the date when the seating collapsed.

3 Likes

If I’d been born 25 years earlier, I wouldn’t have bothered with Ronnie Scott’s. Instead I’d have got myself over to NYC to enjoy the jazz in the 60s at the Village Vanguard, Blue Note, Birdland, Half Note etc.

4 Likes

Yep!

I was at Zep in 75 one of those concerts that was utterly pretentious and brilliant all at the same time. I bet you weren’t sober at the end if only by virtue of the haze that floated over the arena!

1 Like

Too true. Just managed to gate crash the last tube home. :grinning:

Too many to single out one concert, but I always looked forward to Steve Gibbons Band Christmas concerts at Birmingham Odeon for their party atmosphere.

For me, the venue is important. My favourite type of venue is a pub. Half Moon in Putney, Ain’t Nothing But… in Soho, Band On The Wall in Manchester, Jazz and Roots Club in Shrewsbury, Emmets in Ballina Co Mayo, The Watering Trough in Walsall, The Highwayman in Cheadle, and many more all over the country.

Half the time I didn’t even know who was playing, but the music was at least good and often better than good, and the atmosphere was often electric. The artists played with so much passion for their music, which is what I am looking for from a concert/gig.

1 Like

Mick Ronson and other members of Bowie’s band came from my home town, I’ve seen a tribute to Mick by the remaining members called ‘Turn and face the strange’ if you get the chance to see it I recommend you see it, there were plans to take it on the road.

1 Like

Saw him at Milton Keynes Bowl. When I say saw, most of the show was seen in a gap between two vehicles. I do remember John Peel being the compare.

1 Like

Ah! The cheap seats!

Ah! The cheap seats!

1 Like

I have a few:

19/3/77 – Pink Floyd at the Empire Pool Wembley – first ever concert!

8/8/80 – Pink Floyd The Wall at Earls Court (still at school at the time, me and my mate skived off school earlier in the year to queue for our tickets (£7.50!)

9/2/81 – New Order at Heaven. Not their greatest gig, but this was the first time I ever saw them, and their first London gig. Quite the occasion!

28/6/81 – Kraftwerk at the Lyceum, London

31/10/90 – Grateful Dead at Wembley Arena. The only time I ever saw them, but this show turned me from a cynic to a Deadhead!

29/6/01 – David Bowie at the Festival Hall, headlining his own Meltdown Festival. Not only did he do the whole of Low, I was in the second row, dead centre, and a couple of seats away from Eno, Paul Cook and Kylie!

Goldfrapp 18/11/14 – The Royal Albert Hall - best Frapp gig of the 30 or so I’ve been to. Perfect stlist, Will played and there were quite a few surprises!

3 Likes

Beth Hart last week at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville. Had a table up front, easy to get to the venue and back to the hotel. Beth played 28 songs and nearly 3 hours. She wore her emotions on her sleeve, constantly interacted with the crowd. She was as happy to be there as we were happy for her to be there. The last 2 years have made me realize how important live music is to me. I’ll never take it for granted again. Nor will I pass on going to performances that I’m just too lazy to get off the couch. Like my old departed friend would say “the only bad concerts are the ones I didn’t go to”.

5 Likes

David Bowie Theatre Royal Norwich May 1973. The full Ziggy/Hunky monty. Great music and theatricality. Spoilt only by a few teenybopper squeals. With 4 mates bunked off school. On the way there missed a head-on collision with a tractor by veering into a lay-by. Felt great (and lucky) to be alive.

4 Likes